We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report part 3

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
226 posts
Save Topic
Trip report part 3

I was posting while we were there but I was so exhausted our last night that I crashed! So here is Saturday's and Sunday morning.

We slept too late to get over to the Running of the Bulls. Hope to see it in the future though. We made our way to the Camellia Grill on Chartres for breakfast around 9:30. Eggs, eggs, and more eggs!!! There was a bit of a wait but we didn't mind at all. This is one of my favorites.

On the haunted history tour the night before our guide mentioned that we should take a tour of the Ursuline Convent. As many times I have walked by it I never noticed that you could do this. I didn't know what to expect but it was really pretty interesting. The tour is only 5.00 for adults and 3.00 for kids and is self guided.. And there is air conditioning. St. Mary's Chapel is beautiful and so are the gardens. The other rooms you can go in were the old classrooms, dining room, and dorm area for the orphanage. They have many artifacts pertaining to the Ursuline nuns and the New Orleans diocese. We spent close to an hour here. If anyone had never been I highly recommend it. And of course we were just around the corner from Croissant d'Or so we had to go in and get some goodies. A couple of croissants, some chocolate eclairs, and some cookies made for a pretty good snack. After eating we just kind of wandered around slowly making our way back to our hotel. The boys sharing the stories they heard on the haunted tour with their grandparents.

My mother, 2 of my boys, and myself had a swamp tour scheduled for 2:45. We were planning to drop my dad and other son off at the WWII museum. We stopped back at our hotel for my parents to rest a little while before leaving. Last year on our swamp tour we only saw a few alligators. This year we saw so many more. But I am destined for rain every time we take one. At least we got lucky and got a covered boat. Still had a good time. Back at the museum my other son was able to see everything he missed the last trip. We figured they would have already grabbed a cab back to the hotel by the time we were done. But when we called they were still there so we swung by and picked them up just as it was closing. My mom and I were in need of a shower so went back to the hotel to get cleaned up and ready for dinner.

Dinner this night was at Desire on Bourbon Street. It was fun just walking up there and as soon as we were seated there was a wedding second line going up the street so I had to go out and watch it. We had oysters, bbq shrimp, crawfish ettouffee, and red beans and rice.It was all very good. So were the cold Abita Ambers. After dinner we walked to Jackson Square and decided to take a carriage ride. We had to wait a little while because apparently everyone else had the same idea! Our driver took us over to Esplanade (I love the houses) and through Frenchmen Street and the Marigny Triangle. We loved it. My mom wanted to know why I hadnt taken here there before! I think she forgets that she cant take her grandchildren in bars yet! Since it was Saturday night Frenchmen Street was pretty lively and we could hear all the great music. After the tour was over it was back to the hotel but we did stop for some to go beers to drink on the way back and my little pigs wanted one more Lucky Dog. We had a pretty good day.

Sunday morning we got up and got packed. We walked around to Cafe Beignet for breakfast. We all got the Southern Breakfast (eggs, bacon, grits, and french bread). Pretty simple but it was good. And of course we got beignets for dessert! Their courtyard was pretty shady and there was a nice breeze so it made a good spot for breakfast. Got back to the hotel to finish packing and checked out. On our way out of town we stopped at St. Louis Cemetery #1. My parents had never been and we didn't make it the last trip with the kids. I could spend hours there reading the markers. Next time I am going to book a tour. Even if I am the only one that goes. It was time to say good bye. New Orleans is one of my absolute favorite places. And I am so grateful that my kids love it here too. If anyone is on the fence about bringing your children here, get off that fence and take them. There is so much for them here.

So thats it! We didn't too a ton of stuff, but we did have a great little trip.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,088 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report part 3

kdj, I've read all your reports but haven't posted too much in the past week...yes, it sounds like all of you had a fun time, and that's what matters, regardless of how much or how little one does! Thanks for sharing your time.

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
576 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report part 3

Thanks for the report it was great!!!

Daphne
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report part 3

Herm, I hope all is well for you and Deny.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report part 3

Only 102 days.....

Cape May Point, New...
Level Contributor
622 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report part 3

I really enjoyed your reports especially since I am in severe NOLA withdrawal. Makes me wanna jump on a plane this afternoon. I still haven't made it to the cemeteries so that's another reason to return.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
668 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report part 3

Thanks for the report, and especially the Ursalines Convent suggestion. Definitely on our list for next time.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report part 3

When I read about your stop at Croissant d'Or, I thought for a moment that it was right at a time when myself, Lydia Genevieve, Mr Rodent and Mr Genevieve were sitting at the reception of a hotel right across the street from where you were. But no, I got the days mixed up and I think we weren't even in the quarter then. So you're excused for not supernaturally sensing our presence and coming by to say hi. ;-)

Thank you for the detailed and interesting trip reports. :-)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
226 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report part 3

Thanks everyone for reading my reports!

Thank you for excusing me Rodent!! Lol!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,630 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report part 3

Thank you very much NanNan. That was really appreciated!

Yes I have been reading your trip report too but haven't said too much. So nice to know that you and your family had a great trip and enjoyed yourselves KDJ!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,088 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report part 3

NanNan, thank you so very much. So very kind and thoughtful of you. All is as well as can be expected. Thanks again...