We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Annual Trip, No Limits.. Trip Report Day 3

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Second Annual Trip, No Limits.. Trip Report Day 3

This trip was for this past weekend 7/12-7/14

Again, I'll try to put in as much information as I can remember with any advice I can give.

It was the last day of our trip, if you haven't read any of my other trip reports I stayed at the Wyndham - French Quarter with a special TravelZoo voucher for $89/night free parking and 2 free cocktails per night. Based on my weekend stay, I would defnitely reccommend this hotel. Perfect location, one block away from Bourbon and just a walk away to wherever. Loved it.

Well check out was SUPER fast. I just told her my name and room number and I was out. We didn't leave right away and went off to Jackson Square. We parked right by Jax Brewery, huge parking lot and convient for wherever we wanted to go.

We first wanted to of course find a place to eat, we were aiming for the French Market because most of us were on a budget. But ended up passing by this Bistro across from the Market Cafe, the menu looked good but it was going to be a bit of a wait so we went ahead and ate at the Market Cafe. I've been there before so I didn't mind.

There was a group of 7 of us. I ordered crawfish beignets and a gyro, the beignets were a little dry but I'm not picky so it was fine for me and it came with a dipping sauce. I didn't like it too much but it tasted like it had horse radish in there. The gyro... OMG... the meat was SO tender I'd definitely reccommend that even though it's not cajun new orleanish. My boyfriend got the breakfast buffet.. it had pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage biscuits gravy and fruit I believe for $9.95 someone else got the breakfast buffet and he said usually buffet eggs are kind of dry but those were really good and so were the pancakes. One of the other couples ordered an oyster po boy, but they said it was disgusting and they love oysters. So I'm not sure if it was just a bad batch, or they weren't really good at all. One other friend ordered a burger, and another one got a bowl of gumbo. Both were pretty satisfied.

After filling our bellies, we walked toward the French Market and just roamed around and looked at everything. The guys went off to rest and 3 of the girls wanted to go back in the French Market for the oysters. I believe it was the Oyster Bar or something, but it's the only oyster spot where the shuck it right there.

Two of us ordered 1/2 doz fresh oysters, and my other friend ordered the charbroiled ones. As I have mentioned in my other post, I usually don't eat oysters... but OMG. DELICIOUS. So were the charbroiled ones.. they serve it with pieces of french bread, but ask for extra to soak up the juices. It was $8 for 1/2 doz fresh. The guy who shucked them was also very nice and friendly, I wish I could remember his name. I came back home and ate some fresh oysters and they just weren't the same. I really do miss New Orleans oysters.....

So anyway, after that one of the girls got organic chocolate ice cream at the front of the French Market. One scoop was pretty huge for I wanna say $3.

After that the guys and girls split up and us girls just walked around Jackson Square. One of the girls really wanted get a tarot reading and palm reading so we ventured towards those. She got her tarot and palm read by this lady with long white hair, I think her name was sissy or something. She seemed pretty generic. She charges between $15+ depending on how much you wanna give. One thing she told my friend was that she has a guardian angel on her mom's side... and she couldn't even think of anyone. So maybe it was a little bogus. We went down some more and checked out who else there was.

At the end of the corner was The Voodoo Bone Lady (Fatima). She's pretty famous and supposedly she predicts the super bowl every year and gets it right everytime. (If you're gonna get a reading might as well get it from the best known right?) Well with the other lady we got to sit and hear my friend's reading, but this one she said if you were thinking about getting one nobody could sit with you. 3 of the 4 girls got our reading done and it was about 15-20 mins each for $35.

For my reading I wanna say she was pretty spot on about everything. I can't say much of anything else because if I do, supposedly my predictions and what not won't come true. But if you never had a reading done, I think this would be the one you go to. I do wish however, I had asked more questions.. so make sure you do. I still feel like I have unanswered ones.. but oh well. Also I thin that's pretty inexpensive for a famous one if you ask me.

After we all got our reading done and the guys had their beer run. It was time to finally say farewell. Our parking about 3 1/2 hours or so at Jax Brewery was $18... not bad.

I will definitely miss you NOLA, but I do hope to come back for restaurant week. If not... until next year!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Second Annual Trip, No Limits.. Trip Report Day 3

Sounds like a fun week-end. Txs for sharing with us.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second Annual Trip, No Limits.. Trip Report Day 3

Nice conversational trip report. Enjoyed it.....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
697 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Second Annual Trip, No Limits.. Trip Report Day 3

Great job with the trip report! I enjoyed reading it.

4. Re: Second Annual Trip, No Limits.. Trip Report Day 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 18, 2014