We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

32 year old woman plans a solo trip to NOLA

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Radebeul
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
32 year old woman plans a solo trip to NOLA

Hi,

I´m Juliane, I live in Germany and have been in NOLA during the Jazz Festival 2013. I have been there with my best friend and I had a great time.

I do not know why exactly but the city is still in my mind and I´m thinking about coming back on 19th of September for 6 nights,

How is the city in September? Do I need to be worried about the hurricanes?

I like partying....but I never did that alone. My favourite hotel is the Bourbon New Orleans as I really enjoyed the stay last time.

It would be easy to click on the "book" button, but I´m still worried about travelling alone...

So I need your help...give some pro´s and con´s.

Thanks a lots!

Juliane

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,630 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 32 year old woman plans a solo trip to NOLA

Juliane--A very good friend of ours (Porelly) travels solo to Nola all of the time and she has never had a problem doing that! I'm sure she'll be on eventually and tell you in her own words.

As for the hurricanes in September there is always a chance of one happening. If you do book make sure you book where you can change your dates if you need to. That would be my best advice! Hope you go and have a great time!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 32 year old woman plans a solo trip to NOLA

As Deny said, I travel solo to NO regularly, 5 times now. Although now I've made friends and usually meet up with people during my trip, my 1st 2 trips were completely alone, knew no one. Stay in the French Quarter, and just use the normal precautions you'd take travelling anywhere and you'll be fine.

I usually sit at the bar when dining, and you can strike up a conversation with fellow patrons quite easily if that is what you wish to do. You have the advantage of having been to NO before, I'd never been when I went for the 1st time. Don't worry, click on that "book" button. But make sure to have cancelling insurance just in case. Chances of a hurricane while you'll be there are slim, but it is hurricane season, there's always a chance.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,281 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 32 year old woman plans a solo trip to NOLA

When i travel alone, i like to do things like bike or walking tours, cooking classes, etc. They are fun and you have the opportunity to meet people. Plus the guides on those types of tours usually have great recommendations for where to go for good music, fun bars, etc.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 32 year old woman plans a solo trip to NOLA

I would hit the "book" button promptly. Be aware that September in New Orleans is very, very hot. It will be hotter than it was during the Jazz Fest. So pack accordingly. Have a great time.

Radebeul
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 32 year old woman plans a solo trip to NOLA

Thanks all for your help! I booked this morning! Totally nervous and excited!

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 32 year old woman plans a solo trip to NOLA

When will you be there in September? I'll be travelling with a group of girls in our 30s from Sept 26-29. You’re welcome to hang out with us if it's the same time!

Denton, Texas...
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 32 year old woman plans a solo trip to NOLA

Juliane, I admire you for being excited about traveling alone! I have never done so, but was planning on it this August. Plans got changed, and now I am coming to New Orleans in September with sister and friend! We will be there September 14-17 if ya wanna have a birthday drink with us!

Radebeul
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 32 year old woman plans a solo trip to NOLA

Unfortunately I'm in town from 19th on, leaving on 25th! Have lots of fun! I was so happy to be there this April!

Edited: 5:58 pm, July 02, 2013
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 32 year old woman plans a solo trip to NOLA

Julianne, before I moved here, out of my 5 trips two have been on my own, and one of them was the best of all the 5 (the other was just a couple of months ago, to look for an apartment, so it was more practical). New Orleans is very friendly towards solo travellers and I never felt awkward or out of place. Also, I walked everywhere till wee morning hours and didn't feel afraid or threatened, either.

A pity you'll miss the Flok get together, lots of wonderful people among the posters here. But I know you'll have an awesome trip nonetheless.

Radebeul
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 32 year old woman plans a solo trip to NOLA

I´m happy overall now, counting the days! I would have preferred October as well, but I have no holiday.

I´m so excited to see my first football game :-)