We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 14-17 trip report - day 2

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
June 14-17 trip report - day 2

I woke up fairly early but my friend slept in a bit - I guess that will happen when one is from NJ and the other from CA! Once I was ready, I went over to Cafe Rose Nicaud to pick up iced coffees for us. Nice coffee - we went back for the next two days as well.

Since we were off to a late start, I was worried that Johnny's would be out of biscuits but we made it in under the wire. I daydream about these bacon & egg biscuit sandwiches and it was as good as ever!! After breakfast, we had to do some shoe shopping because my friend's foot was getting cut up by her shoes. We ended up on Canal St so she could buy sneakers. Since we were right over there, we decided to take the St. Charles streetcar as far as it would take us. It was surprisingly empty, so we were able to grab seats and snap pictures of houses and beads in trees as we went by.

After making the loop back, we headed over toward the French Market, stopping at Meltdown on the way. I had to get that sweet corn blackberry pop. So delicious!!! We looked around in the French Market a bit, then realized we were still hungry so we went into El Gato Negro. Omg, yum!!!! I'd wanted to go in the past but it never have been able to. Wow! We shared the stuffed poblano pepper, which is one of the best things I've had in awhile and then each got a taco. I got fish and she got beef. The corn tortillas were amazing!!! I am going to be back for sure.

At that point, we were ready for a rest so we went back to the room to rest/relax/take showers.

Once we were refreshed, we decided that it was time to go over to Pat O'Brien's if there was any hope of getting in without a wait and avoiding the boisterous bachelor and bachelorette parties. And, we were right! The piano players and crowd were great...except for a drunk guy who tapped me to tell me he hates the tray tappy guy and then thought a good next move was to start caressing my hair. Ack, go away!! We had a hurricane and a cyclone. I prefer the cyclone but I wanted my friend to try the hurricane.

It started getting to the point that we were going to have to eat dinner or we were going to be ruined for the next day so we pulled ourselves away. We went over to Fiorella's, which is my go-to place for fried chicken. Last visit, there was a palmetto bug in the face episode that had me a little nervous but I love the chicken and red beans and rice enough that I had to give it another shot. It did not disappoint! We also had the fried pickles. Only problem was that it seemed like our order got lost so we were there for a long time and started losing some steam. I kind of wanted to push through but my friend served as the voice of reason and pointed out that we needed to be fresh for our 9:15 tour with Confederacy of Cruisers. We made a quick stop at the Frenchmen St Art Market before turning in for the night.

If anyone saw my thread before I left, I was worried about my friend not having a good time or liking the city. I didn't tell her that, but throughout the day she kept mentioning how much she liked it - whew!! I think the only issue was that she was getting extremely hot but otherwise she was happy!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 2

" We shared the stuffed poblano pepper, which is one of the best things I've had in awhile"...I couldn't agree more!!! When I go to EGN, I usually get nachos or the ribeye steak (another OMG IS THIS GOOD!!!!) but I was kinda stuffed on liquid one day (lol!) so I ordered the pepper...still dreaming about them!!! Glad to hear your friend got some comfy shoes (and for 5 bucks, I can tell her where she got them! LOL!)

Hopefully you managed to distance yourself from the annoying dude at Pat's...shoulda just slugged him!

We also love Fiorella's (yeah, and we've heard all the horror stories of their kitchen!) but my God...it DOES seem to take them FOREVER!!!! One thing I will not do there is use the bathroom...I think they spread the fried chicken grease over the floor just to make sure no one does! Yes, I recall you were worried about your friend! It seems she "got it" and that's all that matters!!!

Edited: 12:38 pm, June 20, 2013
Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 2

Sjcal, what is the stronger flavor in the sweetcorn blackberry popsicle? It sounds very interesting.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,369 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 2

Glad to hear the trip is going great.

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 2

Ha! We didn't run into anyone asking about where we got our shoes but I did warn her about those guys! It looks like Fiorella's did some remodeling - there is now a bench seat running along the front to back wall and I think the bathroom might have been addressed. I usually avoid it but it was an emergency. I wasn't as horrified as usual...except by their placement of a wall sized mirror along side the toilet!! I never noticed that before but it was just awkward!!

Bcla, sweet corn is the forward flavor in the pop. But think more like kettle corn than a side dish with dinner. It's a lovely creamy pale yellow with whole blackberries in it.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 2

Glad to hear they've done something to the batroom! I'd be happy if they just stopped spreading the grease on the floor! LOL! The mirror...Not sure that's a good idea either! :)

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,634 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 2

This report has been great so far! Glad you finally got to El Gato! They are wonderful. During our FF3 they are even going to open 1 hour early for our group! Can you imagine that. Wow. How sweet of them! What did you think of the margaritas???? I am so dying for one of them. It's the perfect weather outside for one too!

At least you finally made it to Pat's! I love the cyclone too, but the past couple of visits ago I discovered The Rainstorm. OMG!!!! I absolutely love that. I also want to try the frozen pina colada. Sounds good to me!

Glad you made it over to Fiorella's. I LOVE their chicken! The service is a bit slow but I can put with almost anything for their fried chicken and mashed taters!

SO happy to hear that your friend liked Nola. Do you think she might consider going back? :)

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 2

That's so nice of them to open up early! I really loved the food but we skipped the margaritas. :( I know, I know!!!

She would go back again but I think it might be awhile just due to the distance, price, etc.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,634 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 2

You didn't have a margarita????? OH NO!!!!!!! Hopefully you did have at least one during your trip. If not--hey it's another reason to go back :)

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 2

Oh no, it looks like I have to go back!!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,634 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 2

: )