We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 14-17 trip report - day 1

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
June 14-17 trip report - day 1

My trip just ended and I'm already thinking about when I can go back!!

I arrived around 10:15 Friday morning and was being dropped off at the Inn on Ursulines by a little after 11. My room wasn't ready, which suited me just fine because I couldn't wait to get out there and take it all in! My friend wasn't arriving until after 2 so I had some time on my own. I strolled along Royal and stopped into the Alex Beard gallery. We have one of his octopus prints and had been considering a Lady Octopus back in December. Turns out the lady has been sold. Too bad... Anyway, I did some roaming around, then realized it was time to head over for my hair appointment. I feel like it was time to have a salon in town so I selected Rocket Science, right across from Washington Square in the Marigny. Such a cute salon and a fun experience - and my hair looked great!!!

From there I walked back toward the quarter and stopped at Meltdown. I inquired about sweet corn blackberry pops, but sadly, there were none so I went with ginger lime. You really can't go wrong with any of the favors. I realized I was still hungry so I decided to finally try Red Gravy. I ordered the eggplant parm, which was totally delicious and amazing as I hoped. Slightly less amazing was having to listen to a rant about the poor quality applicants for an open job there - awkward but oh well...

Anyway! I headed back toward the hotel and along the way, a guy in a mule carriage stopped me and asked me to feel his mule a carrot. I did and the mule was pleased to eat it! Gotta love this city, even though the carriages will always make me sad. The room still wasn't ready so I waited a bit for it. At this point, my friend was en route from the airport. I finally got into the room and it was HOT, like well over 80 degrees. Uh oh... My friend arrived and we inquired about the temperature, then decided to give it some time to cool off.

We walked along Royal, in and out of stores and into Royal Blend to grab iced coffees and snap pictures of the courtyard cats. We did a little shopping, then headed to Cat's Meow because my friend needed a picture from the street cam. We ordered drinks and since I don't spend a lot of time on Bourbon St, I forgot about the 3 for 1 so we ended up with 6 beers. The bartender was nice enough to offer ice. We hung out for awhile and chatted and worked on our beers. This was probably around 4 so it wasn't a zoo yet.

Once we were done there, we made a Walgreens run and then went back to the room, which was possibly hotter than it was before. Another visit to the front desk resulted in us being put in a cab to transfer to Lamothe House. We arrived there and it was much cooler, whew!

After some regrouping, we wandered over the the Spotted Cat because I wanted to see Washboard Chaz. We stayed for a few songs, then went over to Maison and got a table and some bites - nothing too thrilling though, just a salad and some very bland red beans & rice. I could have stayed on Frenchmen St all night but my friend wanted to explore so we made our way up Decatur, stopping in my favorite total dives like Aunt Tiki's and the Abbey. We also dropped into Molly's for an frozen Irish. Yummmmm. At some point during all this, I got a notification that I was mentioned in a post on Facebook - it was Meltdown saying that a batch of sweet corn blackberry was ready for me!! Not only does Michelle make tasty pops, she's an awesome & sweet person too!!

We'd kind of hoped to get into the piano bar at Pat O'Brien's but the line was out the door so we went to Yo Mamma's for the peanut butter bacon burger. We split it since it's so big. I think this was my fourth time having a peanut butter and bacon burger and this one was as great as the ones I've had from other sources.

From there we took a look at the chaos of midnight on Bourbon St and walked it a few blocks. We stopped into Lafitte's for a bit but we were starting to get tired, so we decided to turn in for the night.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 1

Great start! How nice of Inn on Ursulines to ship you off as they were having AC problms, it seems! Did you ever get back there or just stay at LH? Glad you got to Red Gravy! The food is pretty much worth any ranting customer! The Peanut Butter Bacon burger never fails to amaze me! I've had about 4 also (all at Yo Mama's except what I've tried at home! Doesn't have the same feel! Maybe coz I'm not in NOLA!) I keep thinking the next one won't be as good, but they always are! The carriages make me sad too, but I don't want this to turn to a ranting topic by those who like them. I'm not a fan of Meltdown (one of the few it seems, but I'm more into "not-so-creative" flavors! LOL!) but how sweet of Michelle to contact you on Facebook to let you know!

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 1

Thanks!! We just stayed at Lamothe House since it was not hot and I liked the neighborhood a lot - plus easy access to Frenchmen St!! The ranting at Red Gravy was from the owner so I feel like that made it a little awkward but no biggie.

Meltdown does have creative flavors that I love but I also love salted caramel which is a little more mainstream.

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 1

"My trip just ended and I'm already thinking about when I can go back!!" Sounds like another member of our support group. So glad you had a good time.

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 1

I do have it really bad - this was my 6th trip in 3 years and I'm hoping to make it at least once more this year.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 1

Sjcal, great start to your report. I look forward to reading the rest of it. I am also a fan of Meltdown's salted caramel. My DH wasn't to keen on them but I love them.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 1

Another advantage of living in the states re NOLA: you can get there soooo early in the day! Can't wait to read the rest.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,648 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 1

we usually do it in reverse order..eat at Red Gravy and then trek over to Meltdown....favorite is the salted caramel also...pretty active start for the first day etc.....keep rolling.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 1

sjcal..that's how we started...one trip, then it turned into 6 in 3 years! We always tried to go twice a year, but circumstances prevented that this year, so we have to settle for one trip! We'll make it count!

bcla, the salted caramel was what we had...I'm like your darling DH there..sooooooooooooooooo sad you guys won't make October!!!!

sjcal, what's Lamothe House like?

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 1

What a great start to your trip report SJ!!!!! The next bruger I'm having at Yo Mamma's is the chili cheese burger! I cannot wait to try that one--although I do love that pb and bacon burger too! I have only tried the salted caramel at Meltdown and I liked the first half of it but had to pitch the rest. I will have to try them again and maybe get a really creative flavor! I'm no fan of the carraige rides either, but that's another topic!

LOVED reading it so far and can't wait to read more!

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June 14-17 trip report - day 1

Thanks for reading, everyone! I'm working on day two so I will get that posted later today!

I probably should have gone to Meltdown last but that ended up being the trend in this trip - we had it as an appetizer two other times!!

Hermicane, Lamothe House is a small guest house so it's much different than the full service hotels I've stayed at before, like the Omni Royal & Bourbon Orleans. It worked out nicely for us though - we were close to Frenchmen St but also close enough to the quarter than we didn't feel like we were inconvenied when we wanted to go that way. The main house is very grand and historic but we were staying in the Marigny Annex, which is a small building on Kerlecec Street. The room was recent,y renovated, pretty spacious with high ceilings. There's a pool but we didn't go in.