We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where the locals eat!?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where the locals eat!?

We are visiting New Orleans for our first time and want to experience the real New Orleans. Were looking for the whole in the wall places to eat that are staples to the locals. Not so much fast food but not the upscale tourist restaurants. True Louisiana! Thats what were looking for. Thanks in advance.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where the locals eat!?

Not all of the upscale restaurants are tourist restaurants. New Orleans is a destination city for eating! As a local, I rarely eat in hole in the wall places. Rather, I enjoy the Riverbend area, Uptown, and the Garden District, and quite a few places in the CBD and Warehouse district. To sum it up...with the exception of 2 or 3 places, I never eat in the French Quarter. You'll find some of the best dining out of the quarter.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where the locals eat!?

Take the Canal Street streetcar to Katie's. But get there early, because LOTS of locals eat there.

Coop's is a "hole in the wall" in the French Quarter that gets mixed reviews.

Olivier's serves "true Louisiana" Creole food handed down from previous generations.

The Praline Connection on Frenchman Street serves "soul food" and gets good reviews.

Take the St Charles streetcar to Carrollton Street and eat at Boucherie. On the way back, get off at Washington Street and take the Frommer's self-guided tour of the Garden District.

Don't downgrade the French Quarter too much. There are plenty of interesting places to eat. Just because "tourists" go there doesn't mean that the food is not good.

Check out the Bywater neighborhood for some "hip"places to eat.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where the locals eat!?

Stay away from the Oceana Grill. It is a tourist trap, along with it's "sister"restaurants.

Maurepas Foods in the Bywater Neighborhood is a new "hip"place.

Take a taxi to Willie Mae's Scotch House for some SUPERB fried chicken. Get there by 11:30 because lots of LOCALS eat there too.

There are interesting kiosk restaurants in the French Market area for lunch.

Vacherie has a very good menu of Louisiana-based foods for breakfast (and dinner).

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where the locals eat!?

Deanie's Seafood or Acme Oyster House or Felix's for Louisiana-based seafood.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where the locals eat!?

I wouldn't get very hung up on whether the patrons are locals or tourists. It's hard to get the best value in or close to the French Quarter because the high real estate cost (rent) is generally passed on in the form of higher prices, although there are some good restaurant values in the French Quarter. If you want to eat where only locals eat, just go far away from any hotels, B&Bs or inns. Locals living outside of the French Quarter tend to avoid the French Quarter because of inconvenient/costly parking; but locals who live in or close to the French Quarter often eat in French Quarter area restaurants. Is a convenient location a concern for you? If so, where is convenient?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where the locals eat!?

Loopwhole nailed it - locals eat all over the place but just like any other city, it tends to be close to home for convenience sake. There are very few places that would be considered tourist traps - honestly, with all the resources online its getting pretty tough to survive if you arent producing great experiences. With 1000+ restaurants operating in the city it is primarily a matter what you want to eat, along with budget.

True louisiana can range from grabbing a po boy to go, to friday lunch at Galatoires. New Orleans has fine dining to rival any city and locals who have had family events in those venues for 150 years, and of course gumbo from the corner store you wont believe.

If you are looking for casual a few of my favorites that immediately come to mind downtown are Cochon Butcher (Donald links pet project, a high end sandwich shop), and Verti Marte (a reeeal hole in the wall convenience store with great food)

Montreal
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where the locals eat!?

Check out 'my house Nola' on Facebook. Depending On when you go, you might be able to catch one of their food truck events on st. Claude. Next visit, we've planned it around that and the dash and pony events. Both are locals events that look pretty cool. Dash and pony hosts underground speak easy type parties with booze by donation and food usually hosted by bartenders from the neighborhood it's held in.. My house offers food truck events with a cool kind of vibe. Music, etc. they're on Facebook and twitter. I really loved maurapas! They're goat tacos were awesome as we're their unusual pickles. Everything is locally sourced and made in house including their hot sauces. The decor is filled with stuff by christopher porche west who is an amazing photographer and artist who has a studio right beside the resto. Check out yelp new Orleans. Alot of really great restaurants can be found in the marigny and bywater which are not too far from the fq.

Mimi's is another great one. Small plates and a really cool vibe. Lost love lounge has to die for dumplings and hosts great theme nights for tv depending on whatcha like. We caught an ep of walking dead where talkers were shushed:p

Enjoy your trip. If you're foodies, it's hard to go wrong in Nola:)

Cookeville...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where the locals eat!?

When I visit New Orleans, I generally gravitate toward casual eateries. I know I'm probably missing out on lots of good food, but fine dining just isn't my thing.

One of my must-do's for each trip is Jacques Imo's (Carrollton area),

This last trip I finally made it to Acme's (in the Quarter). I don't eat oysters but thought their fried fish was excellent (good enough to go on the repeat list). And when I'm in the Quarter and need a break from the cajun, creole, po-boys and fried food, El Gato Negro and Louisiana Pizza Kitchen are pretty good.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where the locals eat!?

If you want to go to places that are mostly local, get out of the Quarter/CBD. Will you have a car? The Galley on Metairie Rd. has good local seafood. Toups on Carrolton has a meat-centric menu inspired by Cajun flavors. Captain Ron's Gumbo Stop has killer gumbo and crawfish etoufee. Skip the tourist hordes at Jacques-Imo's and get the same food at Crabby Jack's. Short Stop poboys has really good po-boys. Cafe 615 Da Wabbit is another great locals place in Gretna. Great Vietnamese all over the West Bank - Than Dinh, Kim Son, Hoa Hong 9 Roses. Harbor Seafood in Kenner has great local seafood as well. More good po-boys at the Sammich on Canal. You will find plenty of locals and very few visitors at all these places.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where the locals eat!?

WAAAAAAAAY more locals than tourists at the Popeye's on Canal too!