We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Trip to New Orleans Please Help

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a Trip to New Orleans Please Help

It is about an 11 hour drive from Bristol TN to New Orleans. Ideally we would like to stay in another city and drive into New Orleans for daytrips...no more than 2 hour drive. It would shorten the trip a little and give us something to do for the day if that makes sense. Where is a good city to stay?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Trip to New Orleans Please Help

I am curious as to why you prefer not to stay in New Orleans. A couple of cities that are about an hour and a half away are Gulf Port/Biloxi, MS and in the other direction is Baton Rouge, LA. Cajun country, (Lafayette,LA and Breaux Bridge, LA), are a little farther.

What month are you traveling?

Edited: 10:56 am, June 13, 2013
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,520 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Trip to New Orleans Please Help

I'm curious too. How is driving 4 hours back and forth to New Orleans every day making things shorter?

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Trip to New Orleans Please Help

And if you are driving your entertainment options will be limited to non-alcoholic ones.

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Trip to New Orleans Please Help

due to health reasons an 11 hour one way trip is difficult...we do not mind taking road trips once we reach our destination

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Trip to New Orleans Please Help

If I were you then, I would stop one night half way and make it a two day journey and then stay in the French Quarter. Driving in New Orleans every day would become a headache really quick as the traffic going in to the city can be really bad. But if you really want to drive in every day, Breaux Bridge is about an hour and a half from New Orleans and would be a good place to stay.

Edited: 11:59 am, June 13, 2013
Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Trip to New Orleans Please Help

I think you have now convinced me on the pain in the BUTT driving back and fourth and yes you are right. I found one room for the dates we need upcoming soon. It is a Choice Hotel in the downtown district with high rating from trip advisor folks and sort of in my price range. I know my husband and he will ask how safe is this in the downtown area. Is New Orleans a fairly safe place to stay so I can have my barrels loaded so to speak. I use trip advisor before we take any trip where we have never been. Thanks for all your help up to this point...:)

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Trip to New Orleans Please Help

So that you can have both barrels loaded, can you be more specific regarding your hotel choice? Some of the Choice hotels in the Central Business District are within comfortable areas, some are not. Most, but not all, areas within or very close to the French Quarter are considered generally safe and comfortable.

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a Trip to New Orleans Please Help

It is a Quality Inn 210 O'Keefe Ave.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a Trip to New Orleans Please Help

I will leave the hotel location question for Loop as he is the Oracle on such matters. Since you are staying in NOLA thought I would put in a plug for my favorite pastime. DH and I are avid Blues fans and our favorite spot for hearing it is The Funky Pirate at 727 Bourbon Street. Fri, Sat & Sun Mark & The Pentons play from 4-8 and we love them. Also good are Willie Lockett & The All Purpose Blues Band, Sunday nights 8:30-midnight. Tues-Sat nights the house band is Big Al Carson and the Bluesmasters. Can't go wrong with the Funky Pirate if you are a Blues Fan. Have fun!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a Trip to New Orleans Please Help

Quality Inn is a legitimately highly rated TripAdvisor favorite. Although not particularly "NewOrleanish", it's known for being very well run, with a caring staff. I have not stayed at Quality Inn but am familiar with its locale, having been on the ground there as recent as last month. The immediate location is considered generally safe. However, the hotel is located close to an area that is in transition. Most would consider the area between that portion of O'Keefe St. and the River comfortable, but some find the area on the other side of O'Keefe St. uncomfortable after dark. As you will read from the many TripAdvisor reviews, most like the location and have not experienced problems.