We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6th timer leaving soon, itinerary suggestions welcomed!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
6th timer leaving soon, itinerary suggestions welcomed!

Hi everyone! I’ve missed this forum since the last time I planned a NO trip, two years ago. At that time, I was with my almost 13 year old daughter and my husband. Same folks are traveling this time (her 3rd time, his 3rd time, my 6th time in NO) and we’re so excited to be back in three short weeks! I have to say, you all make this forum the best around. We have done a few trips between then and now (San Francisco, Ireland, and Paris) and without a doubt, people are most friendly and helpful right here! Well, who would have doubted that? ☺

Is anyone here going to be there June 30-July 5th?

I looked back at my previous trip reports and tried to take the best food experiences from those and incorporate new ones for this trip. There are also a few activities I have never done, so trying to make time for those as well. We are also trying to cut down on costs somewhat by doing brunches as much as possible at the places that are expensive for dinner. My daughter is an adventurous eater, and she orders just as sophisticated dinners as we do, ha!

I do feel like we’re running around a bit on the itinerary below, so any suggestions would be helpful. I have made most of the dinner reservations already, and I’m not sure how easy it would be to change them.

So, here’s my trip. Suggestions are most welcome!

Sunday June 30

*Arrive 3:25pm, grab a United Cab, arrive to Renaissance Pere Marquette by 4:15pm

*Snack – Meltdown

*Walk FQ

*Muriel’s for drinks, relaxation, and just breathing it all in on the balcony

*Dinner – NOLA, reservations at 8pm

*Drinks at Lafitte’s

*Late night snack at Café du Monde

Monday July 1

*Brunch – Mr. B’s Bistro, reservations at 11:30am

*Buy Jazzy Pass

*City Park via streetcar (new!)

*Snack – Creole Creamery via streetcar (new!)

*Streetcar back to hotel to pretty up

*Dinner via streetcar – Coquette, reservations at 7:30 (new!)

* Preservation Hall 10:15 (will we make this?) (new!)

Tuesday July 2

*Buy Jazzy Pass

*Streetcar to Brunch – Commander’s Palace, Garden Room, reservations at 11:30am

*Walk Magazine Street (is there enough to fill an afternoon here? We’ve already seen the cemetary)

*Snack – Sno Bliz (new! What do you think of this place?)

*Streetcar (?) to Dinner - Camellia Grill (griddled pecan pie!!)

*Streetcar back to FQ

*Drinks at Lafitte’s

Wednesday July 3

*Buy Jazzy Pass

*Brunch via bus – The Joint in Bywater (new!)

*Bus back to FQ

*Walk FQ

* Drinks at El Gato Negro

*Back to hotel to pretty up

*Dinner via streetcar – Boucherie, reservation at 7:30pm

*Back to FQ/Preservation Hall if we didn't make it there on Monday

Thursday July 4

*Breakfast via bus – Elizabeth’s in Bywater (new!)

*Bus back to FQ

*Walk FQ to see July 4th Events

*Lunch – Central Grocery

*Algiers Ferry across Miss., walk around to get away from crowds for a bit (new!)

*Dinner – Muriel’s, reservations at 7:30pm

*Watch fireworks from Muriel’s balcony

Friday July 5

*Breakfast? Not sure if this is needed…

*Lunch - Restaurant August, reservation at 12:00pm

*Walk back to hotel by 2pm

*Cab at 2pm back to airport ☹

Houma, Louisiana
Destination Expert
for Houma
Level Contributor
631 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 6th timer leaving soon, itinerary suggestions welcomed!

i usually make a long list a plans and only do about 1/3 of it. The ww2 museum is very enjoyable and be sure to catch the movie if you do go.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 6th timer leaving soon, itinerary suggestions welcomed!

christie1305 - what wonderful suggestions! I'm checking out Vincent's and Pelican Club as I type! And I'll make sure we say Hansen's now too so people know what we're talking about, hee hee. What are your favorite flavors there?

Around City Park, we were planning on going to Creole Creamery - how do you rate it versus Angelo Brocato's?

And YES on the BBQ Shrimp at Mr. B's Bistro. It's my favorite dish there and the reason it makes it onto my itinerary every time we visit. I also think their Gumbo Ya-Ya is excellent.

Adding Brandy Milk Punch at Muriel's to the list, along with Three Muses -- I didn't know my daughter could go there, and it sounds like a unique experience for her.

Thanks again!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 6th timer leaving soon, itinerary suggestions welcomed!

Thanks, Mr. G. I do have to face the fact that I might not get to everything, but I'll try!! ;)

What's your favorite restaurant there?

Houma, Louisiana
Destination Expert
for Houma
Level Contributor
631 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 6th timer leaving soon, itinerary suggestions welcomed!

My favorite restaurant in New Orleans is indeed difficult to answer considering I've ate at many places out there but still didn't visit as many as I wanted.

My favorite breakfast is at the Old Coffee Pot restaurant, however, the service is terrible. the food however is wonderful. Fried shrimp in the morning is actually very good.

I always eat grilled fish when I come visit and i have a picky wife so it's difficult to actually choose where I REALLY want to go.

so far the greatest experience I've had was at Emeril's Delmonico overall i do recommend the dessert Bananas foster. the service was wonderful.

El Gato Negro has the Best Guacamole I've ever ate. They make it right in front of you!

However I warn you, considering you are going to Boucherie afterwards visiting el Gato Negro, DON'T ORDER IT OR YOU WILL GET FULL because it is AMAZING and you will not want to stop and may ruin your experience at Boucherie.

The place i really want to visit since i've became a huge John Besh fan is Restaurant August. I'd like to experience the 15 course dinner one day. Also Boucherie just because I love pork so much.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 6th timer leaving soon, itinerary suggestions welcomed!

I've been to the Old Coffee Pot once and had the Callas, may need to go back there this trip!

We're doing the lunch at August this time around, but the 15 course dinner sounds amazing. I do pretty extensive trip reports, so I'll make sure to include the details of that restaurant for you!

New Orleans
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: 6th timer leaving soon, itinerary suggestions welcomed!

Creole Creamery has a wider variety of unusual ice cream flavors and they are tasty, but nothing beats Brocato's for good, old-fashioned Italian gelato. Brocato's Fiore de Latte is the best vanilla ever! My kid loves their strawberry, but they have many other flavors, too. And Brocato's has the look of a nice old-timey sweet shop. Their current location is in Mid-City, (many, many years ago the shop was in the Quarter.) The Brocato family has sold gelato and Italian pastries & cookies in New Orleans for over a hundred years.

Both Brocato's and Creole Creamery are good, but I'd give the edge to Brocato's.

The Canal St. streetcar makes a stop at the corner of Carrollton and Canal. Brocato's is on Carrollton, about 2 blocks down from Canal Street, heading toward Lake Ponchartrain. Which I suppose is northbound, but don't quote me on that. People in N.O. tend to navigate by the position of the lake and the river, rather than by north, south, east, and west. Which I understand is confusing for people from out of town, but New Orleanians are generally confused by north, south, east, west directions. :- )

Please note if you do decide to go to Creole Creamery instead, it is Uptown on Prytania Street, which is closer to Audubon Park than it is to City Park. I think there is a second, newer Creole Creamery in Lakeview. That is kind of close to City Park, I guess. Is that the one you mean? (I'm sorry; I know these neighborhood names probably don't mean much to you.)

Favorite snowball flavors? Well, I'm not very adventurous. I tend to stick to strawberry or coconut. But if you get the smallest kiddie-sized snowball available, you could probably handle two or three on your own and get to try a few different flavors that way.

Enjoy!

17. Re: 6th timer leaving soon, itinerary suggestions welcomed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 15, 2014