After doing some research we decided we will come in several days before the cruise and make a nice holiday in NOLA.
We are going to try and fly in on the Tuesday so we will have a good part of Tuesday -Sat inclusive to explore and enjoy the city and surrounding areas.
I have several questions :
1.Are there any festivals going on that week of the 14th of January. If so what and where.
2. Since we will be eating decadently on the ship, we are looking for good "local" spots to eat that are in expensive and have local flavours...I am an east coast gal so love seafood and fish, hubby is a valley boy..no fish or seafood for him. We need places that we can both get things we like..BBQ is good for example.
3. Suggestions for good Jazz...not massive partying...we are not party people but we love good music and 1 or 2 drinks for the evening...we are empty-nesters, me mid 40's DH mid 50's so we want to avoid hot spots for the younger crowd.
4. On wed or Thurs. we plan to rent a car for 1 day and tour a couple of plantations in the morning (up and at it early since we are not up half the night lol) and then do a swamp tour in the afternoon (late aft?)
I am thinking possibly Laura, Nottoway and or Destredam then in the aft a Cajun encounters tour or Honey Island Tour.
- Is this a reasonable expection for one day? I saw a plantation and swamp tour so I figure it must be..but want to check.
- Can we do all 3 plantations..research shows all would be of interest for different reasons. How much time apx at each. I am a shutterbug and love gardens. We are both history buffs and can spend a fair bit of time pokeing about a museum.
-which tour company would be reccomended of the 2 mentioned..or is there another? We want a longish (2 -3 hours apx) tour with lots of emphasis on the eco system, history and culture of the swamp, relaxed not rushed, with a relatively leisurely pace. We did an airboat ride in The everglades and loved it...for this one want a quiet more relaxed experience. (cajun encounters night tour? or a late afternoon/early eve tour?)
- Given the 3 plantations we would like to do...what route would we take to get to the swamp tour and apx how long of a drive?
-Suggestions for a quick but yummy lunch?
4. We are going to be sailing down the mississippi on the Ship...would it still be worth it to take a steam boat ride? If so please detail why. How long are those tours usually? Suggestions for which oone?
5. Do you know anything about the American Photo safari tours? They have one for the FQ and one for Garden area..suggestions on which? or is there another tour that would be good site seeing, and give ample time for photos...not to rushed.
6. I saw something on the Louisana Lost lands Environmental tour...do you know anything about this? maybe a link? saw it mentioned but no details.
7. I saw there is a cemetary tour that the proceeds go to up keep for the cemetary..I thought I wrote down the name and book marked but did not...info on that?
8. Would a day planned to do cemetary tour, WWii museum and steamboat ..if it is reccommended, be a realistic day..without being rushed?
9. I saw somewhere and again forgot to bookmark it..a list of the sights we will be seeing as we cruise down the river out to sea. We have an Aft Balcony and will have a perfect view of everything...if anyone knows of such a list or thread with a list and can post it that would be great!
Now that you have a pretty good Idea of what types of things we are interested in...any other suggestions?
Any and all comments are most welcome..if you have links pictures etc you want to share I would be most appreciative.
Oh an interesting little tidbit..where we live in Ontario Canada, another Mississippi River runs through our town so we are looking forward to seeing the MIGHTY Mississippi and learning about her history.
And to think this is just week one of an amazing 2 week journey!
Thanks to all in advance.