We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about Garden District B&B and safety/parking

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
question about Garden District B&B and safety/parking

Hi all,

wife and I are spending a week in NO in mid-november. There seem to be some nice B&B's in the Garden District and I like the idea of the quiet there, the shops, restaurants. I'm not such a big fan of the FQ in terms of partying. BUT I've read different reports (not on this site) about safety. Would it be safer to stay in the CBD (can get a good rate at the Quality Inn) or one of the B&B's such as Sully Mansion, Garden District B&B or Southern Comfort? I understand it's street parking--but is that "safe" for the car? LASTLY, is something on the Esplanade near the French Quarter a better/safer bet??

Thanks for any advice!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: question about Garden District B&B and safety/parking

We LOVE the B&B's in the Garden District. Sully Mansion, the Maison Perrier are wonderful. We also enjoy The Park View Guesthouse further down on St. Charles Avenue across from Tulane & Loyola Univ's. We recently stayed at the Avenue Inn & it was equally nice. We have never had a problem with our car being broken into or vandalized. However, never leave anything valuable in full view on the seats. Each B&B I;ve listed are an easy walk to shopping, restaurants, clubs, etc., on Magazine or Freret St. Also very easy to jump on the street car to get to the Quarter.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about Garden District B&B and safety/parking

My husband and I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites which is only a couple of blocks away from Canal. So out of the French Quarter but within walking distance. Also, only a short cab ride to the Garden District. This hotel has valet parking for $25 a day, which is a decent price compared to other hotels. On another note, the quarter really isn't as animalistic as everyone thinks. Bourbon street is the party street that everyone associates with the quarter, but that isnt what the entire area is like. There is some great shopping on Royal. GW Fins, highly ranked on trip advisor, is also there. It is worth a gander if I do say so myself.

Edited: 3:55 pm, June 02, 2013
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about Garden District B&B and safety/parking

What anyone here will tell you (regardless of the part of town) is to never leave anything visible in your car. Not even your ratty gym bag with your rotted-out 10-year old sneakers. The places you mention are safe enough, but you may want to cab back later in the evenings. The forum here tends to be heavily biased towards recommending you stay in you Quarter. Nothing wrong with that, but statistically, you're probably about equally safe in the Garden District/Uptown locations and will get more of a feel for what life for locals is like, if that's important to you. Same goes for Mid-City, Bayou St. John and Bywater locations.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about Garden District B&B and safety/parking

Thanks all, for the recommendations. I'll make sure the car is empty! :)

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
303 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about Garden District B&B and safety/parking

The Garden District is a safe, pretty upscale neighborhood. Like everyone else said, don't leave valuables within easy view inside your car but I wouldn't do that anywhere.

There are quiet residential areas of the French Quarter as well, however. The entire Quarter is not a party neighborhood, but it gets that reputation.

6. Re: question about Garden District B&B and safety/parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 05, 2014