We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Louis cemetery.

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
St. Louis cemetery.

I wanted to know is it worth it to do a tour or can you just walk around alone. Better yet, is it safe to walk around alone? During the day of course.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Louis cemetery.

I assume you mean SL#1. Honestly, there are so many tours during the day that would probably be there when you are and it isn't that big for you to be unsafe in the daytime by yourself. My husband and I walked around after our tour. With that said, unless you have previous knowledge of the tombs, you will miss out on all the interesting tid bits a tour can offer. We did the walking tour with Strange But True Tours. It's a free tour that you pay at the end what you think it is worth. My husband and I both enjoyed it. Whatever you decide, enjoy :)

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Louis cemetery.

Liquidluck is quite correct. If you want to go by yourself, there will be all kinds of people there during the prime hours in the am and the afternoon. But the information acquired from a tour is quite interesting so I suggest a tour if possible.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Louis cemetery.

There are LOTS of people walking around in St Louis #1. We took a Gray Line Tour (avoid them like the plague) and it was so bad (the tour guide whispered the whole time) that we got more out of it when we went back alone! You can always try to tag along with a tour--being as inconspicuous as possible. Just look for a tour guide with a loud voice!!!!!

Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Louis cemetery.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will go with the tour.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Louis cemetery.

Good decision Jmallory! Just AVOID Gray Line for the tour! Walking around with your fingers in your ears and a blindfold on would be better than Gray Line!!!!!

Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Louis cemetery.

I will definitely avoid Gray line. Thanks for the tip!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Louis cemetery.

Another popular St. Louis No. 1 tour is provided by the non-profit Save Our Cemeteries organization (easy to find with Google).

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,091 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Louis cemetery.

I tink avoiding Greyline tours is just universally good advice. They seem to be pretty genrric everywhere they operate.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
522 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Louis cemetery.

I second the recommendation to use Save Our Cemeteries. Not only are the tour guides highly skilled, all proceeds go to preserving the cemeteries.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
211 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Louis cemetery.

Third the rec for Save Our Cemeteries. They guided us through Lafayette and really knew their stuff. And free wth?? We left a nice tip.