We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 Mardi Gras

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
408 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
2014 Mardi Gras

After more than 22 years away from New Orleans, we are finally returning for Mardi Gras in 2014. Just made our hotel reservations, and now have to wait about 9 months until the trip. Miss so much about New Orleans during our one year stay; hopefully, our week stay during Mardi Gras gives us enough time to revisit most of our old favorites.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2014 Mardi Gras

Welcome back! See you there. I'll be the guy wearin' beads with a drink in his hand.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
408 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2014 Mardi Gras

Thanks, I'll look for you. Seriously though, we booked a room at the Monteleone for 6 nights. The site we used was 50% less than all other sites so we jumped on it. Then we were told that prices drop dramatically right before Mardi Gras. Wondering if we booked too soon?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2014 Mardi Gras

Every year it's somewhat different. It's like trying to predict the future performance of any other market. Last two years prices started and stayed pretty high, then the bidding and other "blind" sites got cheap ($180-200 per night plus tax) about 2-3 weeks out. In previous recent years booking early paid off. If you got in on that $200-205 per night Monteleone deal, I don't think you'll be disappointed; probably a somewhat small room, but a very good price for a very good location.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
408 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2014 Mardi Gras

That's exactly what I booked. Thank you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2014 Mardi Gras

Hotel prices usually drop right before big events until they "re-sellout"--then that's when they get you! I think you done good!

Edited: 6:07 pm, May 24, 2013
Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2014 Mardi Gras

"Welcome back! See you there. I'll be the guy wearin' beads with a drink in his hand".

LOL, Loop, THAT really narrows it down!!! :)

Jerry, sounds like you got a good deal! Like Loop said, it's supply and demand. Den spent 8 years in the hotel biz...and if she thinks you done good, that's good enough for me! :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
410 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2014 Mardi Gras

Just booked/paid for our 2014 Mardi Gras rooms (at the Monteleone). We haven't been in a while (2007 I think, or maybe 8). Anyway, this time, we're hoping to plan early and perhaps find groups of people who will be partying or costuming together during the Sat - Tues period. Any good ideas?

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2014 Mardi Gras

We will also be there for Mardi Gras.....first timers....we will be the couple with the beads and the drink in our hand!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2014 Mardi Gras

wow, cate...you'll be just as easy to spot as Loop! LOL!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2014 Mardi Gras

JohnK, what was once a pretty good source for becoming acquainted with other Mardi Gras enthusiasts, and learning about open meet-ups, Krewes and other general information can be found at:

http://www.nola.com/forums/mardigras/

Facebook followers have supplanted some of the above site's function with an open Facebook group called:

Krewe of NOLA Mardi Gras Forumians

Both of these forums/boards will get much more active beginning on Twelfth Night (start of Carnival [January 6]).

Getting really involved in Mardi Gras typically requires several successive visits. Although some activities and krewes are restricted to old-line NOLA society, most are very open to new participants. Krewes and gatherings range from the very elaborate large float organizations, to many less formal walking krewes and party groups.