We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time for the World War 2 museum?

Arkansas
Level Contributor
238 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
How much time for the World War 2 museum?

I'm trying to plan a weekend with high school kids at a Quiz Bowl competition this weekend. We will be competing all day Saturday, but Sunday and Monday morning will be times for us to tour around the city. I want to take them to a cemetery tour and the World War 2 museum as well as walking around the French Quarter. What I'm thinking is either do the cemetery tour in the morning, lunch in the French Quarter and walking around there on Sunday and then the museum Monday morning before lunch at Cafe Reconcile before leaving town. Will that be enough time for the museum?

Also, should we contact the museum about doing a guided tour or just do it on our own?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time for the World War 2 museum?

If you are coming on Memorial Day itself, be aware there will be special ceremonies and more crowds than usual. Normally, if you watch the 4-D movie (which I recommend), you'll want around 2.5-3 hours total to take things in. In past years on Memorial Day, access to some exhibits was blocked part of the day by the ceremonies. I don't know if the layout for the day will be changed because of the new pavilions being open this year. Since it's a special day at the museum, I'd phone ahead to check details.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time for the World War 2 museum?

With the new additions, your visit can easily stretch to 5-6 hours if you include the movie and a meal at the American Sector restaurant.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
211 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time for the World War 2 museum?

Does anyone know why this museum is in Nola? Maybe this is a dumb question, but most people would guess they'd find a museum of this caliber in D.C. Still haven't seen it...rats.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,709 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time for the World War 2 museum?

It was originally the D-day Museum. The Higgins Boat, the amphibious landing craft was manufactured in New Orleans.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time for the World War 2 museum?

Stephen Ambrose, the noted Eisenhower biographer, taught at the University of New Orleans. Ambrose was instrumental in the development of the D-Day Museum.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time for the World War 2 museum?

You don't want to go when there are school tours going through. We went just as what seemed like several school groups were going through & every room/ exhibit I went through was absolutely jam-packed with kids. I'm glad the kids are learning this history, but it really took somethig away from the experience for me.

I'm not sure how you could predict/ avoid this; phone ahead maybe ?

Arkansas
Level Contributor
238 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time for the World War 2 museum?

Thanks! I think I'll call them tomorrow to decide which day to visit.

8. Re: How much time for the World War 2 museum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 23, 2014