We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live Trip Report, part 2

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Live Trip Report, part 2

Hey, I'm actually posting this in the correct forum!

Decided "part 1" didn't make much sense if there was never going to be a part 2, so I'm starting a new thread.

On my way to lunch at Boucherie right now. It was a toss up between that and Red Gravy, but since RG is open tomorrow (and B isn't) that made the choice easier. The streetcar is the most crowded I've ever seen it, I guess I've never taken it on a Saturday before.

Passing through the Quarter, I still couldn't decide what I think of these double decker buses. Make me feel like I'm in London or something. There were "artists" by Jackson Square (and yes, I agree there are also genuine artists there, some pretty good, but there are also a lot of "artists") selling drawings of Justin Bieber. I was walking and laughing.

Now I'm on the way to my fave restaurant, to have lunch and also to book dinner for my birthday next month. But I had to do lunch today, as it has my absolutely favorite menu item: the duck confit po-boy (originally with roasted garlic but I always have it without), not available for dinner . I'm afraid that as long as they have it on the lunch menu (which I hope will be forever), I'll be unable to have anything else. And I'm fine with that.:)

Texas
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live Trip Report, part 2

Now, what better way to commemorate your New Orleans vacation than with a portrait of Justin Bieber!Totally get what you're saying about the "artists" - it seems there has been an explosion of that sort of thing around Jackson Square in the last couple of years. Sad really. Fortunately, there are still a few good ones in the mix.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Live Trip Report, part 2

I'll tell you why the streetcar is so crowded today, it's Tulane's graduation. Loyola's was last weekend.

BTW, I'm really enjoying your live TR's and living vicariously through your apt search. Good luck & best wishes!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live Trip Report, part 2

Hey Rodent! Have you had any luck finding my thumb print mouse artist???

LSM--I share your sentiment about some of the "artists" too!!!!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live Trip Report, part 2

Full and happy, that's where I'm at right now. :-)

I'm so pathetic about Boucherie, always ordering the same set for lunch, starting with a Bloody Mary, then the duck confit po-boy (without roasted garlic), then a Dark and Stormy, and finally coffee with that Krispy Creme bread pudding that I would marry if only marriages between bread puddings and rodents were legal. It never disappoints, so why tweak with perfection? My favorite waitress (Hope) wasn't there this time, but I was sitting at the bar (that's a first for me, I'm often too shy to do that and ask for a table) and chatted with Abigail and two male servers. And then Nathanial Zimet came through to the bar to pour some booze into a dessert he was making and yes, I got to talk to him as well. As he's not one of those chefs who come out to chat to all customers, that was the first time I got to speak with him.:) The food and drinks were as perfect as ever, I just love that place. Made reservations for dinner on June 21st, too. When I was there in September, there was a table celebrating a birthday and that's when I had this thought, loud and clear: this is where I want to have dinner on my next birthday.

And guess where I went right after Boucherie? Of course to Z'Otz, cause by God I wanted to! (just in case anyone is wondering, that last sentence was a reference to a note at their counter: "Ask us about lemons, cause by God we have'em" - and yes, the note is still there). I walked into a conversation (between the barista and a customer) about militant vampires. Ordered my fave Highlander Grog coffee, with no vampires inside (and, sadly, no lemons, but one day I *am* going to ask about them). It will never cease to amaze me how a HUGE mug of coffee can cost $2.75. I'm still drinking it. :)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live Trip Report, part 2

LSM, that made me chuckle.:)

Etude, I didn't think of that, but that makes sense, since a lot of people got off by Tulane.

Den, I didn't get to walk all the way around but so far I haven't seen him.

Save Reply
6. Re: Live Trip Report, part 2

Rodent, thank you for so generously sharing this live report---I feel like I'm there! I have been silently following this forum for the past few weeks, as we have a trip coming in June, and your posts (and those of others!) have really helped us pull things together.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live Trip Report, part 2

So you are going to be back on June 21st? The Festigals Parade in The Quarter on June 22nd. A group I belong to is joining in this year. Since you are gonna be a local we might want to talk to you about joining.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live Trip Report, part 2

KCK, if that isn't the day our stuff arrives on the moving truck (and it can arrive anywhere between June 19 and July 2), I'd sure be interested to check you girls out.:)

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live Trip Report, part 2

Boucherie definitely does Confit and Dark and Stormys right! Oh, and that KK bread pudding is YUM-E. Nice that you got to meet Nathaniel Zimet.

I'm always amazed at how many people they can cram into a streetcar.

Well pooh, I will just miss your Birthday. :( Guess that means we'll just have to do something Birthdayesque for you when we're there.

Just think- in just a little over a month anytime someone asks if you'll be in New Orleans when they're visiting you'll be able to say YES. Think of all the festivals you'll get to attend. How exciting!!!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live Trip Report, part 2

Love your report. Boucherie is on our October itinerary -- dinner before going up to Rock-n-Bowl for Zydeco Night. And yes, the KK bread pudding is a major reason. I've decided to sample the bread pudding at every restaurant we visit during our 10 days in NOLA. Maybe write a small book. :-)