We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Quarter clubs/bars

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
French Quarter clubs/bars

I know New Orleans is big on Jazz clubs/music, but are there clubs that play music of a hip hop, R & B dance variety? Any names and/or locations. I will be there in July for Essence and we may be interested in this type of club/bar to dance and have a good time in. Hopefully nothing in a bad area as we will be walking to and from a hotel on Poydras closer to the stadium.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
792 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Quarter clubs/bars

Bourbon Blues Club has that kind of music, although when I've been there (drinking at noon, LOL) it's been a DJ/EmCee combo. Think they have live bands at night. Saw a great live band playing all kinds of R&B at Krazy Korner one time. I imagine during Essence it won't be too hard to find the music you like in Bourbon St clubs.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,592 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French Quarter clubs/bars

check out the music calendar on www.offbeat.com for venues and types of music for the dates you will be there...usually posted a few weeks ahead...not guaranteed to be entirely accurate.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Quarter clubs/bars

Absolutely!!! You will not have trouble finding dance clubs, especially towards the upper part of Bourbon. There aren't really a lot of jazz clubs on Bourbon anymore and people actually have to kind of seek them out.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French Quarter clubs/bars

Thanks for the info. I will check these out.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French Quarter clubs/bars

suekel

I will probably be drinking at noon myself!! LOL!!! What about the river front, I heard there was a sports bar on the riverfront. Any ideas about that?

AR
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: French Quarter clubs/bars

Just for clarification what type of RnB...old? new? Soul? Maybe if you named a couple of your favorite artists...Several places have older RnB on certain days at certain times.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: French Quarter clubs/bars

Either to be honest with you. Soul is fine to. I'll be there on THur July 4th through Monday July 8th. Doing a boat ride on that Friday night. Beyonce at the Superdome that Sunday evening.

AR
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: French Quarter clubs/bars

I I would check Sing Sing on Bourbon..really good late band(blues, RnB) and the early one isn't bad!

Fatz Katz on Bourbon if Kevin and the Connection Band is there...All kinds of music through the decades and Sweetie sings great soul/blues/RnB.

Club 544 on Bourbon if the Sound Effects Band is there...young, vibrant and lots of different sounds, but do RnB, Soul, early rock, also.

Rooster and the Chicken Hawks at Chris Owens Club on Bourbon..Thur -Sun. Rooster is 75 and has been on Bourbon St. for 40 years or more...he sings OLD Blues, RnB, etc. He is outrageous and his band is good.

AND if you stay over Monday night, go to Club 544 @ 8:30 to hear BRW..., they sing through the decades, but specialize in early rock, RnB. They have been in New Orleans for 40 years, dance as they sing, have a great band and put on a "not to be missed" show.

Also if you are in the mood on Sun. evening for some good ole blues, go to Funky Pirate @ 8:30 to hear Willie Lockett and the All Purpose Blues Band, and, again, if in town on Monday night...Gary Brown and his sax. Most hip-hop is played by D.J.'s in some of the bars while the bands take a break.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: French Quarter clubs/bars

Thanks for the info. My hotel is on Poydras about 5 blocks or so from the french quarter. Because we will be walking out late, I'm sure its probably wise to stay on a main type of street versus a small side street?

AR
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: French Quarter clubs/bars

Yes.... where on Poydras? If you are out late and have been drinking, pedicabs, cabs are inexpensive for that short distance.