We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on traveling to New Orleans in August?

Oakland, California
3 posts
Save Topic
Advice on traveling to New Orleans in August?

Only time we can travel to NOLA is beginning of August. We know it will be hot. We have traveled to Las Vegas in July (not bad bc of AC) and Jamaica end of July/beg of August (again not bad bc of AC and swimming). I am just wondering is NOLA unbearable in August or if you like the heat, is it fun?!?!? Thanks for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Atlanta
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Advice on traveling to New Orleans in August?

Another tip is walk on the shaded side of the street. Slip into a shop or bar with AC.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Advice on traveling to New Orleans in August?

Unbearable? You know people live in New Orleans, right? It will be hot and humid, but not unbearable IMHO. It is really hot a lot of places in August FTLOG. We go a few times every Summer. I love all the seasons for different reasons. My best advice for an August trip is try to be there on the 10th for The Red Dress Run, crazy fun event.

Wear breathable fabrics, bring extra clothes as you may want to shower and change more often. When you get hot duck into someplace with fierce AC and cold drinks. Never been a problem for us.

Ledyard, Connecticut
Level Contributor
129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Advice on traveling to New Orleans in August?

If I can survive, anyone can!

I absolutely HATE the heat, and I go every August with my husband for the Satchmo Fest. My way or surviving is to stay at the Hotel de la Monnaie which is right across the street from the festival, listen to the music from the balcony, and run into the room when it gets too hot! Of course, getting the frozen coffee drink from "13" is a BIG help. (One year, I went to Maine instead of NO, and it turned out to be hotter in Maine, plus most of the shops didn't have air conditioning.)

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Advice on traveling to New Orleans in August?

Frequent in and out stops in shops with AC...drink water...change of clothes for the evenings...pick either museums or aquarium etc. for afternoons or a dip in the hotel pool...remember the nights can be pretty hot too so any night walking tours keep your water handy ...not soft drinks...but water and don't try to do too much in the heat...leisurely fun in NO...what is missed can be done on the next trip.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,948 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Advice on traveling to New Orleans in August?

I'm surprised (unless I missed it) no one has mentioned rain. It rains almost every afternoon in August, at least when I've been there. Relatively brief showers and/or thunderstorms. So another reason to plan something indoors for some point in the mid-to-late afternoon, between the heat and the potential for a downpour.

I usually use the time to slip back to the hotel and change shirts and/or grab a shower. I'm never one to over pack, but New Orelans in the summer I bring a shirt for the morning, a fresh shirt for the afternoon, and usually change into something else at night.

Oakland, California
3 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Advice on traveling to New Orleans in August?

Thanks everyone! I am officially excited to go!

17. Re: Advice on traveling to New Orleans in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 04, 2014