We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A wrench in our plans

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
297 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
A wrench in our plans

I just called to make my birthday dinner reservation with Commander's and they are unfortunately all booked up the evening of my birthday - May 25. They told me that typically a month ahead is plenty of time, but they have several big events that night. Now I kind of feel like I'm back at square one. I could do brunch the next day instead but there is just something to me about having my 30th birthday dinner ON my 30th birthday.

I couldn't do brunch earlier that day either because our plane doesn't arrive until 10:15am and they stop serving at 12:30pm on Saturdays so that is really cutting it too close.

Does anyone have any other suggestions along the same lines for a nice birthday dinner that evening? I also considered the chef's table (bar) at NOLA's. I may still fall back on that, but want to consider options.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A wrench in our plans

I'm sure Muriel's would make your evening special, and the food is awsome!!!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A wrench in our plans

Muriel's is awesome, I agree. We've been there, though, and I would like to try something different. It's definitely not a bad suggestion if I can't figure something else out though.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A wrench in our plans

Stella is amazing, if you are into "foodie" type food. I think Brigtsen's is a great dinner too, very intimate setting and great service, and more traditional New Orleans food.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A wrench in our plans

Hmm.. I just thought up this plan. How does it sound?

The lady on the reservation line said to call back the day before or the day of and see if they have a cancelation, but that seems pretty last minute for fancy dinner plans.

I have also been wanting to try Galatoire's so now I'm thinking maybe I'll plan on that. They don't take reservations anwyay, for the downstairs room at least, so I can come prepared with our fancy clothes for a nice dinner and call Commander's that morning to see if we can get fit in there instead.

If we do go with Galatoire's, how early would you suggest getting there if you want to eat around 7pm on a Saturday night? We don't mind waiting a little while.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A wrench in our plans

How big will your party be? There's typically not a long wait for dinner at Galatoire's.

If you're a foodie, though, I'd say Stella! If you want to get loud, I'd say Galatoire's.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A wrench in our plans

We only have a party of 2. I just looked up the menu for Stella and I didn't see anything that sounded particular appealing to me. I like fine dining, but I wouldn't call myself a foodie necessarily. I don't care for fussy or artsy dishes. I just like good, rich food.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A wrench in our plans

Galatroie's is a great place but it's a lot more about the festive environment there. August would be a great fine dining option. Mr. John's is the best steakhouse in the city.

If you do choose Galatoire's, you really shouldn't have much of a wait for a table for two. I'd recommend the cocktails, crab maison, cocktails, foie gras, cocktails, soufflé' potatoes, cocktails, cocktails, cocktails, pompano amandine, cocktails, dessert. That's the way to do Galatoire's properly.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A wrench in our plans

Bayona is one of the lovliest restaurants in the Quarter. August is high end and marvelous. Rue 127, outside the Quarter is one of my favourite places.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: A wrench in our plans

Bayona's courtyard would be great for a romantic dinner as well.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A wrench in our plans

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am liking the idea that Gallatoire's is all about the lively festive atmosphere because it is my birthday "party" afterall.

So I think that's what I'll do. I am still going to check and see if Commander's has a cancelation because it's my first choice. But if not, I think I'm going to go with Gallatoire's instead.