We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Days in NOLA

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Three Days in NOLA

Hello,

I am taking an impromptu trip to New Orleans this weekend. I will arrive Friday morning and leave Monday morning. I am a 31 single woman, unafraid to travel alone, walk alone, go out alone at night. I'm looking for local advice, what to eat, what to see.

I am a little bit of a partier, but tend to lose my appetite when I travel. Any guidance or points would be so helpful. I love history, culture, and music. And gardens!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Days in NOLA

What price points would you like to stay around for your meals? Do you like eating at the bars in restaurants when traveling alone?

As far as the walking alone - there's a difference between being scared and being smart in New Orleans. There are a lot of places in New Orleans that no single woman should walk alone. It's not about being scared.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Days in NOLA

See item #6 of the "best area for tourist" thread below. It provides a good foundation of "things to do" and you can then do further research to narrow down your interests. To expand some of the items: Drink a Hurricane at Pat O'Briens. Eat a beignet at Cafe DuMonde. What posesses one to take an "impromptu trip"?

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Days in NOLA

As for itinerary, you can probably find enough to do in and around the French Quarter for your entire first day. On the second day, you might consider taking the St Charles streetcar to Carrolton Street for lunch, then get off at Washington Street on the way back to explore the Garden District. There is a self-guided tour available at Frommer's. On the third day, you could take tha Canal Street CITY PARK streetcar to City Park, where they often have a full slate of activities on Sundays. There are THREE routes for the Canal streetcars, so make sure you get on the one marked " City Park". If you miss the streetcar on the way back, you can catch the Magazine Street bus right across the street.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Days in NOLA

Here's a recent piece from Bon Apetit magazine about the current food scene in New Orleans:

bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/…

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three Days in NOLA

The French Quarter is one of the most historic areas on the US, given that most of the buildings date from the 1700s and are a cinglomeration of French, Spanish, British, and 1800s American influence. I don't know if you have this yet, but it's a great place to start:

frommers.com/destinations/…0020020033.html

Austin
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three Days in NOLA

thanks, that is a great link, i will definitely check it out!

Austin
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three Days in NOLA

i have four days off and the travel bug has been biting me hard lately!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three Days in NOLA

History: WWII museum, Cabildo/Presbytere/US Mint (museums), maybe some kind of haunted history tour, the Ninth Ward Rebirth bike tours

Culture: French Quarter, Treme neighborhood w/ Backstreet Cultural Museum & St. Augustine Church as stops, the House of Dance and Feathers Museum in the Lower 9th Ward, all the cemeteries

Music: Frenchmen St, Kermit Ruffins, street musicians on Royal St/at Jackson Square during the day

Gardens: Louis Armstrong Park, City Park, Beauregard-Keyes House, Audubon Park

Eat: If you don't go anywhere else, go to Bacchanal for dinner. We also liked Booty's, Three Muses, American Sector for happy hour & Katie's...for breakfast we love Red Gravy, Stanley and The Old Coffee Pot

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
1,204 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three Days in NOLA

If your going to the 9th ward--eat at

Willie Mae's Scotch House

2401 St. Ann St., New Orleans, LA - (504) 822-9503

The BEST chicken I have ever eaten. Its only open 11-2, daylight hours but park close and get right in.

Edited: 9:04 pm, April 18, 2013
Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three Days in NOLA

Be sure to write a trip report when you get back. Hope you found enough history and culture and music and gardens to make your trip worthwhile.