We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Jazz Park to "transform" downtown

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
New Jazz Park to "transform" downtown

Went to a press conference today and am very excited about the very strong possibility that the new National Jazz Park will be built downtown (across from my office, actually). It will involve the tear-down of City Hall, the criminal court building, some of the Hyatt, all of the New Orleans Centre mall and much of Poydras Plaza. Big job but WOW will it be amazing. I really think that it, and the "new and improved" Hyatt Regency (or Grand Hyatt or whatever they decide to call the new one) will be amazing.

www.nola.com/newslogs/tpupdates/index.ssf…

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Jazz Park to "transform" downtown

Cajunwave - if you say it's a good plan, then I trust you - but boy does the $715 million pricetag make me nervous!!! I hope it's worth it!! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Jazz Park to "transform" downtown

Well, the fact that most of it is privately financed is a good start!

The jazz park has been tossed around for years. It's about time that it happen!

Plus, the city needs a new City Hall. The monstrosity on Loyola is just awful. Dominion Tower is a sweet upgrade. Not as big as before but neither is city government!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Jazz Park to "transform" downtown

oh, good - I haven't read the article in its entirety yet - I didn't realize it was (mostly) privately financed. whew! that's good news!

Agreed about the "monstrosity" of city hall!! that place is awful. I had no idea that this was an idea that has been talked about for so long. It certainly looks nice on paper!

4. Re: New Jazz Park to "transform" downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 15, 2009