We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nottoway, Oak Alley or Evergreen Plantation?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
238 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Nottoway, Oak Alley or Evergreen Plantation?

Hi all,

I already posted this in the Louisiana forum but thought maybe I should post it here too so it gets seen by more people! I live in Houston and will be driving to New Orleans for a weekend vacation in June. I would like to stop by a plantation on my way home since they all seem to be sort of on the way back to Houston.

I've been researching the various plantations and the 3 that seem the most desirable to me are: Nottoway, Oak Alley, and Evergreen. Any advice on which is the best tour? The main things I am looking for are a grand, opulent house, picturesque setting, historical integrity, and the ability to actually tour the house instead of just a room or 2. Am I being unrealistic? Are there any other plantations between New Orleans and Houston that would better fit my criteria? I grew up in Canada so my only experience with plantations has been in movies.

Thank you for the help!

Edgard, Louisiana
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Nottoway, Oak Alley or Evergreen Plantation?

Hi there! I am writing on behalf of Evergreen Plantation. While yes, we are privately owed and occasionally the owner comes to visit, we are still a working plantation and so very proud of our historical authenticity. Our big emphasis is preservation. Another of our hallmarks is the (original) slave quarters. Many other quarters throughout the South have been moved or rebuilt, which makes ours a particularly unique treasure.

Nottoway and Oak Alley, our sister plantations, are extremely beautiful. As far as grandeur of the house, Nottoway takes the cake. It is true that it has been renovated and modernized for use as a bed and breakfast, but no one has told me they were disappointed with their experience. Of course, it is hard to pass up Oak Alley with its on-site restaurant and line of Live Oaks going all the way up to the house.

Whatever you choose, I'm certain you will have a wonderful time! The area is beautiful and boasts a rich history. We are happy to answer any questions you may have for us; come visit us at our website (www.evergreenplantation.org), or our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/EvergreenPlantation). You can also find information about tour packages out of New Orleans at plantationadventure.com, or neworleansplantationcountry.com.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
238 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Nottoway, Oak Alley or Evergreen Plantation?

All, I just wanted to update you. We just got back from New Orleans and decied to go to Oak Alley Plantation in the end. We loved it! It was just as beautiful as we found in the pictures. Its true that the house isn't the biggest or most impressive, but we found it worthwhile, just for the grounds. We didn't have time, but we noticed that Laura Plantation is very close by, which would have made it convenient to visit also. Thank you to everyone for all of your help and advice! I really appreciate it :)

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
202 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Nottoway, Oak Alley or Evergreen Plantation?

To me, there is nothing more grand than Oak Alley. You can have lunch there if you want. You can stay overnight, but not in the big house. Several others such as Laura and San Francisco are nearby. Laura is special in it's on way but interesting and less opulent

Fort Worth, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Nottoway, Oak Alley or Evergreen Plantation?

Can you wander the grounds of Oak Alley for free?

Edited: 10:08 am, March 04, 2014
Texas
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Nottoway, Oak Alley or Evergreen Plantation?

katiebmartinez, no, you have to pay to get inside the gates. You can see the oaks and the house from the road but if you want to stroll around you have to pay for the tour. You can't really blame them; otherwise they would not be able to maintain the gardens or the house if so many were able to walk around and see it for free.

I enjoyed the tour and the gardens, but I love that sort of thing.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nottoway, Oak Alley or Evergreen Plantation?

We recently did a combo tour of Oak Alley and Laura. We enjoyed them both very much. The plantations and tours were quite different and we were glad to get the perspectives of both. Oak alley also has a restaurant and snack center on the property.

We did our tour through New Orleans Tour Center - total time including travel was 11:00 am - 5:00 pm. If you have your own vehicle, you could probably even include Evergreen (we did drive by it on our way to Laura and Oak Alley).

You could not wander the grounds of Oak Alley for free. We had received a sticker when our tickets were purchased that we had to wear to show we were allowed on the grounds.

Edited: 5:23 pm, March 04, 2014
17. Re: Nottoway, Oak Alley or Evergreen Plantation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, March 06, 2015