We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live Trip Report - Day 2

Delaware
Level Contributor
453 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Live Trip Report - Day 2

Oh how I love this place. Woke up to a dreary, rainy day but still better than being most anywhere else. Went to breakfast at Stanley on Jackson Square, and it was very, very good. The service was wonderful, and the food - OMG! I had an Irish Coffee and the corned beef hash. The hash was chunks of corned beef and potatoes, which is different than what I am used to (small diced pieces or even shredded meat) but it was very tasty and way more food than I needed though I struggled through to stuff myself as best I could since it was so tasty. Hubby had the bananas foster french toast with a side of bacon and it must have been good since his plate was clean. Some of the tables are REALLY close, and we sat by a nice couple from Peoria and got to exchange travel stories which was nice. Funny that in NOLA people are so quick to ask where you're from and strike up a conversation and I don't seem to find that in many other cities. Rain had let up a little by the end of breakfast, but we had already decided to go to the Presbytere. The museum wasn't at all crowded so we got to really take our time and enjoy the exhibits. I highly recommend this place. We stayed almost 3 hours, and were thoroughly entertained. The Katrina Exhibit is heart breaking. It really drove home not only the individual misery but the inadequacy of the government's rescue efforts. Even seeing it now I was angry over how poorly things were handled, and I can't imagine how the people who lived through it must still feel. But the city's fighting spirit shows through, and it was nice to hear the stories of people helping each other. Upstairs is a MardiGras exhibit and it was really cool to see some of the costumes and learn more about the tradition of the balls and other festivities. For $6 you certainly get your money worth.

After the museum we strolled through the St Louis Cathedral and it was just as amazing this time as our first visit. A certain sense of peace and calm came over me while looking around. Next we wandered the streets and eventually ended up at Jean Lafittes Blacksmith Shop. I had the purple voodoo slushie thing. It was cool to see this place but I wouldn't make it a priority to go back. Then we wandered back over around Jackson Square. Sat on the benches near the Gazebo Cafe and listened to music (while finishing my slushie drink that left me tongue stained for hours I might add), then wandered the French Market. Strolled back to the hotel for a short rest and to change for dinner.

We had early reservations at Mr.B's - yum! I had the Pork Belly appetizer (pork belly with fig preserves and spinich). I don't think the pork belly had been cooked down as much as it could have as it wasn't too easy to cut and not all the fat had been cooked down but it was very tasty and was delightful when combined with the fig preserves. Then on to my rabbit entree. OMG - this had comfort food written all over it! Braised rabbit with roasted mushrooms, shallots and bacon served with mashed potatoes. Not sure how you braise something and it still ends up being a little dry, but that was the case here. Still delicious, but because of that I have to say that the mushrooms were the tastiest thing on the plate and were to die for. Had the chocolate molten cupcake and coffee for dessert. It was very good, but I really shouldn't have had it as I was absolutely stuffed and couldn't finish it all. Hubby had the seafood gumboo and shrimp wrapped in bacon with grits, with bread pudding for dessert. He said it was all very good. I snuck a taste of the gumbo and bread pudding and would agree. The gumbo was some of the spiciest we've had. The service here was wonderful, and the servers had a great sense of humor (teased me in the beginning that my rabbit came with the head on - some patrons may not have appreciated it, but I did). Saw people in all forms of dress - from jeans and sweatshirts to dresses.

Walked around Bourbon Street for awhile, and enjoyed a stop at the Cat's Meow for karaoke. That place was a lot of fun and the bartender was super nice. Then went over to the Sezerac Bar at the Roosevelt Hotel. What a change of pace from Bourbon Street! That hotel is gorgeous, and the bar was very old Hollywood with wonderful music and a feel from the 20's or 30's. An older crowd there as would be expected. Of course I had to try the Sezerac and found it quite enjoyable though definitely not inexpensive.

We must be showing our age as we decided to head back to the hotel not long after 10 as we have a big day planned for tomorrow and wanted to rest up. More to come!

St. Louis Cathedral
Sacred & Religious Sites, Architectural Buildings, Churches & Cathedrals
St. Augustine Church
Churches & Cathedrals, Sacred & Religious Sites
Montreal
Level Contributor
565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live Trip Report - Day 2

sounds like you had a great trip! thanks for sharing. i can't wait to hear more!

Newington...
Level Contributor
407 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Live Trip Report - Day 2

Great trip report!

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
577 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live Trip Report - Day 2

Thanks for doing this!! Wish I was there!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live Trip Report - Day 2

I looove those lazy days in NOLA when you just walk around, go with the flow.... sigh

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live Trip Report - Day 2

Isn't Stanley's just wonderful? I love that place too! Enjoying your trip reports very much!!!!

6. Re: Live Trip Report - Day 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 06, 2014