We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend a Read?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend a Read?

DW and I are planning on at trip in a couple of weeks from Northern Indiana to New Orleans with a stopover in Memphis.

We’ve never been to NO and despite reading alot of info on this site and others were experiencing information overload. At this point we have a way too many questions to post, so I’ll only ask one, for now.

Can anyone recommend any good travel books (online) that would be of any value for New Orleans and surrounding areas? The key word here is GOOD.

Thanks In Advance

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend a Read?

Ask some questions instead.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend a Read?

You asked about any helpful books online. I have Fodor's book and its been indispensable - thorough NOLA information and the surrounding areas. We refer to it regularly. There is a Fodor's online as well. I've also had fantastic luck with DVD's and books from our library.

Good luck. It can be overwhelming!

Ga
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend a Read?

confire, your avatar is hilarious...I love it!

Honestly we've been NOLA addicts for so long, I can't help you with travel book recc's.

But if you have questions, I'll do my best to answer them. It's the least I can do for the LMAO moment I had when I saw your pic :)

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,045 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend a Read?

I have both the hard copy soft cover Frommer's New Orleans, and Fodor's New Orleans. I have found the then most current issue of both to be well worth the purchase price. I find Frommer's to be better indexed and more logically formatted but, admittedly, I am more accustomed to using Frommer's and am somewhat prejudiced by my previous correspondence with the now deceased former author . Both books have less extensive on-line versions, but sometimes hard copy is easier and quicker to use, particularly if you are traveling. If you are ordering the books on line and want to spend something extra to take advantage of free shipping or other promotion, you might also want to perchase the latest edition Streetwise New Orleans laminated pocket map. The free Official Visitors Guide published by the New Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau is interesting and fun, and sometimes helpful, but like all such guides it suffers from lack of critical opinion and focuses mostly on Bureau members and/or booklet advertisers.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend a Read?

When I first traveled to New Orleans, I used Fodor's and Frommer's ,but now I rely on the TA forum, Chowhound New Orleans forum and various websites I've collected.

I've also just discovered the New Orleans edition of The Weekly Yelp www.yelp.com/weekly… which focuses on one type of restaurant or other business every week. You can email subscribe or just check it out when you feel like it. List of past newsletters on the right of the page.

Montreal
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend a Read?

i always use more than one source for guides to the city.

for instance i really like the videos they have on http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/ and the write ups of each area are also a good start and the videos got my boyfriend excited as a first time visitor. they're short and concise and very watchable.

for restaurants and bars, i do the same as soulcat. you can sort on yelp things like ratings and neighbourhood proximity. often if i see the same person reviewing different restaurants that look interesting, i'll check out the user to see what other reccommendations they have...found some great lesser known spots that way:)

I really liked the following for event information, shopping, music and general daily type things. they have a best of 2012 list and they're all local ezines or blogs etc...

the gambit

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/Home

offbeat magazine

http://www.offbeat.com/

invade nola (i'm not sure your age..it might be a bit too hipstery)

http://invadenola.com/ this was the magazine that made me want to spend time in the bywater.

also, garden and gun has some great articles on local culture but it's not just nola, it's south. lots of LA recs though so it's useful especialy if you decide to make a side trip.

http://gardenandgun.com/

for hauntings if you're into that, i bought a book on kindle by kalila smith that i found really interesting but took with a grain of salt. i'm not sure if all the stories are true but that's half the fun:P she works with haunted history tours which is known for their 'hocus pocus' the book is tales from the french quarter. i think it was around 8 bucks on kindle.

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend a Read?

Thanks great tips. We will be following up on many of your suggestions. I do have a 6 year old Frommer's, Fodor's but will check them out online. Also requested some printed info from the Visitors Bureau.

I have download two apps, one was from TA that have interactive maps with info if I can get a WiFi connection.

Two questions,

Anyone know if the French Quarter and other nearby areas have public WiFi for a tablet connection to use interactive maps?

I know NOLA is known for Jazz but were more kinda into Rock and some country, will we find that in the French Quarter during the week?

We’ve visited Memphis a few times and Beale St. This will be the first time we’ve had enough time to be able to spend a couple of days in NOLA. I’m sure we’re over thinking it but we’re Pumped :)

Again Thanks for the help

8. Re: Recommend a Read?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 29, 2014