We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City of New Orleans Amtrak

Sheffield
Level Contributor
54 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
City of New Orleans Amtrak

We are booked to go from New Orleans to Chicago on the City of New Orleans train, departing New Orleans at 1.45. As we have booked a roomette our meals are included. Does anyone know if this includes lunch soon after we leave New Orleans, or is it just dinner on that day and breakfast before we arrive in Chicago.

Thanks.

Julia

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City of New Orleans Amtrak

If I remember correctly, there is no lunch served as you are leaving mid afternoon. There will be a small canteen opened though for sandwiches, junk, and such.

But being in NO, I would eat lunch before taking the train. Too much good food to miss a chance to have a meal.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
54 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City of New Orleans Amtrak

Thanks for that. We will have a lovely lunch in New Orleans then.

Perth, Scotland
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City of New Orleans Amtrak

Just noticed your post and I have been looking at doing this trip with my husband this September from Chicago to New Orleans. Are you flying into NO and then taking the train ? Can you tell me what a roomette is and if you don't mind the approx cost.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: City of New Orleans Amtrak

www.amtrak.com has everything you need to know. Photos and virtual tours, too.

Edited: 7:23 pm, April 05, 2013
Sheffield
Level Contributor
54 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City of New Orleans Amtrak

Hello Katie B

We flew to New Orleans for four nights,then got the train to Chicago which is where we are ow for 6 nights. We fly home on Sunday.

A roomette is a little two person compartment which is converted to two bunks by the sleeping car attendant when it is about bedtime. We found it very comfortable both for sitting and sleeping, though unless you are a very good sleeper you may find the noise of the train's hooter will keep you awake.

We paid £115 each which included dinner and breakfast, free coffee from a coffee machine, iced water and the roomette. We are both over 62 which makes it a bit cheaper.

We loved it and I would definitely travel by train in the USA again.

Julia

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: City of New Orleans Amtrak

Going on city of New Orleans in late may,was there enough room in the roomettes for luggage or did you have to put it in nearby luggage compartment

Sheffield
Level Contributor
54 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City of New Orleans Amtrak

You can check your luggage in at the station. I would definitely recommend that because there isn't room for suitcases in the compartment. Only slight downside to this was that there was a bit of a long wait - maybe 20-30 minutes - for the suitcases to get to the carousel at Chicago. If you are going from Chicago to New Orleans I would guess the wait would be less because New Orleans is a much smaller station.

Julia

8. Re: City of New Orleans Amtrak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 11, 2014