We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Remember Corinne Dunbar's?

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
389 reviews
Save Topic
Remember Corinne Dunbar's?

First of all, thanks to all of you who have responded to my 7 questions in advance of our October visit to NOLA. I'm sure I'll have more in the coming months, but I've already added lots of good info to my trip folder.

Our 1973 trip gave us memories of many great meals, but the one Mrs. OJ and I still talk about most was at Corinne Dunbar's in the Garden District. The turtle soup and silver tray filled with pralines and chocolates still gets the taste buds salivating!

I know it's been closed for many. many years, but does anyone recall the address or the approximate location? Would love to take a picture when we return -- it was a beautiful old house as we recall.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Remember Corinne Dunbar's?

Googled it: Corinne Dunbar's

Lee Circle Area: 1716 St. Charles Avenue (Later 1617). 1935-1987

It was a good place from what I remember!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Remember Corinne Dunbar's?

Thank you. Wish it was still open -- it was VERY good!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Remember Corinne Dunbar's?

It has relocated to 501 Pine St. It's on the Broadway Campus of Loyola University, just off Broadway and St. Charles. It's the cafeteria of the student union for the law school but it's open to the public for lunch. We ate there last year when we were visiting our son. He says gets the meatloaf every week. I seem to remember him saying they are moving to a new location and I'm trying to get confirmation.

Just google "Dunbar's restaurant new orleans" and you'll get a plethora of hits.

Here's a link for current info. Looks like they're moving to Gentilly.

bestofneworleans.com/blogofneworleans/archiv…

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,096 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Remember Corinne Dunbar's?

Thanks Etude. But I believe you're referring to Dunbar's, not Corinne Dunbar's which was a fine dining restaurant (dinner only) located in an old Garden District home. As JJNola stated, it closed its doors in 1987.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Remember Corinne Dunbar's?

Aw, too bad. I thought I had solved your problem!

Colorado
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Remember Corinne Dunbar's?

The dunbars that relocated to Loyola law campus was the dunbars originally located on Feret St and was a southern comfort food place. Their Fried Chicken and Red Beans was awesome.

Sharps Chapel...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Remember Corinne Dunbar's?

I moved to NOLA in 1961 and ate at Corinne Dunbars. It was on Lee Circle. I'll google map search the address JJNOLA gave to see if the building is still there. It was an exclusive, though small restaurant. You had to call ahead for a reservation.. reservation ONLY was the rule. The food was fabulous. They had very limited seating. But I left in 1965 and figured it was not likely to still be there.

Sharps Chapel...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Remember Corinne Dunbar's?

I went to the addresses JJNOLA gave (1716 and 1617) and neither of those addresses is close enough to Lee Circle. I remember Corinne Dunbar's as being where one street came into Lee Circle - and those two addresses are several blocks away from Lee Circle according to Google maps.

OregonJohn, I recommend you contact the New Orleans Chamber of Commerce. They probably have archive records that will tell when Corinne Dunbars was in New Orleans, and where it was located.

If you do street view at google maps, where St. Charles comes into the circle, there's a red building that houses a bar, and this might have been the location.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Remember Corinne Dunbar's?

This is the sort of question that comes up on Tom Fitzmorris' "Food Show" on local radio all the time. The addresses JJ has in an earlier response are the same ones Tom has in the "Extinct Restaurants" section of his nomenu.com website. I think those are probably accurate as Tom is a stickler for facts like that and for all his shortcomings he has a memory of N.O. food history that is phenomenal. Certainly in the 1970's and early 80's it was not on Lee Circle because I remember it being in the area he describes. You can call in to the radio show and ask him (he certainly dined there). Then a bunch of other callers will call in with their memories of the place. I never ate there but had a friend who was quite enamored of the place.

http://nomenu.com/?p=2497

Fitzmorris and Peggy Scott Laborde have a book out called "Lost Restaurants of New Orleans" that cover's Corrine Dunbar's and all the other old places that "ain't dere no more". It's in many local bookstores or on Amazon.

For others of you interested in nostalgia, Peggy Scott Laborde has made a career over the past few decades of producing a very good series of local documentaries for the local PBS station WYES. There is one on old restaurants as well as many other themes - Irish N.O., Italian N.O., German N.O., shopping on Canal street, Mardi Gras, musical histories, etc., etc. You can order these from the station's site.

www.wyes.org/programs/local-programming/

Edited: 5:21 am, December 28, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41,405 posts
1,251 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Remember Corinne Dunbar's?

I remember Corinne Dunbar's well - though not well enough to pinpoint the exact location on St. Charles Ave.. The 1716 address seems about right, but I would have put it in the 1800 - 1900 block, but it has been a long time. My feeble memory also had it closer to the Uptown corner, and so much in the "middle of the block." It was not all that far up river from Delmonico, but I though a bit more, than the listed address would indicate. Still, about right.

As for it moving, I do not recall that, but then we left the City in '81, so that would have been six years, before they closed.

The meals were excellent, and the venue elegant. The cost was up there, for the day, but worth the $ for us, for a romantic, splurge dinner.