We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! College trip to New Orleans!

Weehawken, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Help! College trip to New Orleans!

Hello!

Next week (March 11) me and my 2 best friends (we are all in our early 20s) are traveling to my favorite city on earth - New Orleans! We have all been there before on a service trip to help Katrina victims and are anxious to get back into the wonderful culture of NOLA.

Our last trip we were working most the time, so we only got to do a handful of things in the actual city. We are staying in a great B&B, we have a car to travel with and we are all very adventurous!

We are big foodies - we are on a tighter budget, however we have saved enough to "splurge" on some good dinners. Any suggestions for gumbo, seafood and po boys?

Also, we are looking for some kind of fun activity to do - I love being on the water. Is there any kind of boat activity we could sign up for that would not take a whole day?

Lastly, of course, any suggestions for some great bars to go to? We are open to absolutely anything, but we especially love dive bars, a younger atmosphere and we are big country music fans!

Any advice would be so helpful!

Montreal
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! College trip to New Orleans!

verti marte on royal for po boys for sure. we liked it so much we went back on the last day to have one last sandwich even though we weren't hungry:) we had the all that jazz first time around and then ernie's powerhouse. the place is very unassuming and you take your sandwich to go. it's in the back of a convenience store.

also, maurapas in the bywater was incredible. we had the goat tacos and pickle plate. the pickles change seasonally but ours was brocoli rabe, an assortment of different onions, smoked pickled cabbage, peppers, and some more standard stuff. the goat tacos were amazing and come with housemade hotsauces, pickled green tomatoes and a cilantro dipping sauce.

we also liked coops on decateur. the smoked duck quessadilla is a thing dreams are made of.

take a look at my yelp bookmarks. i haven't reviewed any yet, but we hit alot of them. especially the bars.

http://www.yelp.ca/user_details_bookmarks?userid=nzerzomJFX3E10Z2YqcFTA&cc=US&city=New+Orleans&state=LA

2. Re: Help! College trip to New Orleans!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 08, 2014