We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten Free traditional NOLA dishes

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
137 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten Free traditional NOLA dishes

I know that many local and traditional dishes are made the a roux. In other words, they contain flour. Does anyone know of any particular restaurants that use gluten free ingredients? Does any place have gluten free breads for their po' boys? My husband is Gluten Free and would love to enjoy the same local dishes as I will. Any tips or suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten Free traditional NOLA dishes

Muriels:

http://www.muriels.com/html/glutenfree.html

You can find others with a search on Yelp...

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten Free traditional NOLA dishes

I don't know of any GF breads but my favorite GF place is Casamentos on Magazine Street. They use corn meal and corn flour for their breading so it's one of the few places I can eat fried food. The shrimp was fresh and amazing. You can usually find fresh fish or shrimp that is GF at a lot of restaurants.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten Free traditional NOLA dishes

I forgot to add that Palace Cafe has a GF menu on their website that looks great. I haven't tried it but the restaurant gets good reviews. I think there is also a list on Yelp or Urbanspoon of other restaurants that have GF offerings.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
137 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten Free traditional NOLA dishes

Thank you for your very helpful posts. Does anyone know of where we can get things like Jambalaya, Etouffee and Gumbo that are gluten free? I have read that red beans and rice are usually not made with a roux. Is this true or should we steer clear of it just to be safe? Thanks again

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten Free traditional NOLA dishes

Design--Type Glutin Free in the search box and you will have TONS to read! I know this because we have a gluten free friend and that's how we found a lot of information she needed! Here's the site just in case : )

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=34&geo=60864&scope=2&q=gluten+free&returnTo=__2F__&sub-search.x=0&sub-search.y=0

Edited: 2:01 pm, March 06, 2013
Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten Free traditional NOLA dishes

I wouldn't think that red beans and rice would be made with a roux so you should be safe. It is one of my go-to dishes in NOLA as well. You can always ask the wait staff to check with the kitchen if you are unsure because most places will be happy to let you know if they used a roux.

I haven't spent a lot of time checking the GF menus at the places that have them so I'm not sure about the other specific dishes you mentioned. I'm afraid I end up making my own NOLA dishes at home (you can even use Zatarains mixes which are mostly GF) and then eat the seafood, red beans and rice with sausage, BBQ shrimp (sadly, without the bread for sopping), and oysters (unbreaded unless I go to Casamentos).

7. Re: Gluten Free traditional NOLA dishes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 08, 2014