We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Music with 2 kids; 13 and 5

CHANDLER, AZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Music with 2 kids; 13 and 5

Here is my dilemma; I am a frequent NOLA traveller, bordering on PT resident. For the first time I am bringing my children with me. I am at a loss as to where I can take them where they will be allowed that has GOOD music, particularly jazz. We are staying in the GD and have a car, so location is not an issue. Was thinking of Kermit's Treme Speakeasy, but it doesn't have a website, and can't gt a bead on whether or not kids are OK. They love music, so I'm not concerned about them making a fuss; just where they will be allowed.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Music with 2 kids; 13 and 5

I think kids are allowed at Kermit's Speakeasy--when we were there HIS kids were there (all girls from age 5 to about 20). We take our kids to Preservation Hall too. You might check to see what is going on at the Jazz National Historic Park, especially at Perseverance Hall. And Kermit sometimes plays at Rock & Bowl.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Music with 2 kids; 13 and 5

For the "current" schedule of events for the Jazz National Historic Park (March isn't posted yet), see:

www.nps.gov/jazz/planyourvisit/events.htm

The link for Preservation Hall is:

www.preservationhall.com/hall/index.aspx

In addition to the many street performers on Royal St. and around Jackson Square, there are typically jazz bands performing in or around the French Market. There is also Musical Legends Park on Bourbon Street, see:

www.neworleansmusicallegends.com/index.html

AR
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Music with 2 kids; 13 and 5

Cafe Beignet at Legend Park across from the Royal Sonesta has Dixieland playing...

Also the Market Cafe on Decatur, or if you want Blues, the Gazebo Cafe (Thur-Mon. afternoons) on Decatur. All these are child friendly, outdoor, but partially covered venues.

I believe Palm Court Cafe on Decatur is also child friendly.

AND for a casual, local Sunday Brunch, Buffa's on Esplanade/Burgundy (enter on the Burgundy side for brunch) often has children there. Dixieland band starts at 11:00...small venue, so get there a bit earlier than that if you want a table.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Music with 2 kids; 13 and 5

There's also the Sunday jazz brunch option for great food and music all at the same time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Music with 2 kids; 13 and 5

Hello forum,

Timely thread for me as I am considering a short trip to NO with our 13.5 year old son. Our adult evenings out in NYC almost always include music so wondering if there are more pub like venues that allow children in the evening.

thanks

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Music with 2 kids; 13 and 5

What about a restaurant that also has music like Buffa's, Bacchanal or Three Muses? I haven't been to any of them but have heard good things--not sure about what ages are allowed in any of the three.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Music with 2 kids; 13 and 5

Glosean, many report that Fritzel's, a lounge on Bourbon St typically featuring traditional dixieland jazz, admits teens with parents.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Music with 2 kids; 13 and 5

Do not underestimate the street musicians. There is often a band near the St Louis Cathedral. We saw one that had nothing more than a tuba, a trombone, a drum, and a singer and they were GREAT. It's a lot of fun for the kids too, because you can give them a few bucks to tip the band. Wander around a bit and enjoy the street musicians. There are always little kids in the audience dancing along with them. It's a not-to-miss New Orleans experience.

9. Re: Music with 2 kids; 13 and 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 04, 2014