We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations needed ASAP! walk, drive, streetcar??

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas, United States
5 posts
Save Topic
Hotel recommendations needed ASAP! walk, drive, streetcar??

First time headed to New Orleans. :)

We'll be driving to New Orleans on Thursday, 2/28. I have not been able to find a hotel. Not sure how close these hotels are to the "touristy" places. I've read a lot about staying in the quarter - tried booking and prices are a bit steep. How far are the district/convention hotels from the quarter? We definitely want to hit Bourbon street but would love to sleep at night as well. I say this due to reading prior forums explaining how loud it could be at hotels. :/

Also, is it wise to drive around from place to place or is everything really walking distance? What's best? Vehicle, walking, street car?

Thank you so much.

AR
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendations needed ASAP! walk, drive, streetcar??

It is only loud if you stay on the Bourbon St. side of the hotel or is someone decides to yell out while walking drunk back to what ever place they are going. BUT by all means, if this is your first visit, try to stay in the Quarter. or CBD close to Canal St. If you do that then you can walk most everywhere you want to go. or use the streetcar . You might go to neworleansonline.com for a list of hotels....many options. What are some of the hotels/prices you've found?

Texas, United States
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendations needed ASAP! walk, drive, streetcar??

Thank you for your response! It seems that there may be 3 conventions going on this weekend so prices spike up to 300+ a night beginning Friday. I was able to find the Courtyard Marriott hotel off S. Charles Ave. Would that be a good location? I'm still browsing for other options.

Thanks again for the tip regarding Bourbon street. All I've read about Bourbon street is how loud it is.

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendations needed ASAP! walk, drive, streetcar??

How many nights you going for and what is your budget? I am going first time march 9...so i know how it is looking around!! I looked on Kayak (which comapres all sites) and saw Le Richelieu (sp?) for $590 total...In heart of french qtr. I booked Bourbon for myself after reading everything i could get my hands on. :-)

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendations needed ASAP! walk, drive, streetcar??

Le Richeliu is a very nice hotel. If you can get a good rate there I'd go for it. It will put you in good proximity of popular Frenchmen Street.

Lake Charles.LA
Level Contributor
42 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendations needed ASAP! walk, drive, streetcar??

The Courtyard Marriott at 124 St. Charles is an nice hotel in a GREAT location. 1 block from Canal St. and Bourbon St. You can walk to just about anywhere you want from there. The CBD...Central Business District... is where I always stay in New Orleans. Better prices than the French Quarter and close to everything.

Texas, United States
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendations needed ASAP! walk, drive, streetcar??

Re: courtyard Marriott - Perfect! Thank you!

As for Le Richelieu, it seems like a very nice place but it is unfortunately sold out already. That's what happens to procrastinators like me. :/

Our budget was around $250/night for hotel --> we didn't realize the parking would cost about $30 per night. Kinda crazy!

Would it be wise to drive around or just stay on foot?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendations needed ASAP! walk, drive, streetcar??

You do not need your car in the Quarter. Park when you get to your hotel and leave the car until it's time to go home. You can walk pretty much everywhere's.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendations needed ASAP! walk, drive, streetcar??

And a cab to Vaughns or the Maple Leaf is cheap and reliable. Don't bother driving.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel recommendations needed ASAP! walk, drive, streetcar??

If you are looking for a hotel with parking in a good location check out Drury Inn. We stayed there a couple years ago and loved it. Self parking was $17 I think.

Texas, United States
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel recommendations needed ASAP! walk, drive, streetcar??

Great! Thank you so much!