We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for 50-year class reunion?

Fayetteville...
8 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant for 50-year class reunion?

We're looking for a restaurant that can seat 30-40 slightly seniors who still think we're 18. I love the idea of Muriel's but afraid it may be too expensive for all. Acme Oyster House offers a buffet that might work. Seems that all the places want to charge a room charge plus a bar charge per person. Any thoughts on this? We'd also love a hotel that would allow a small hospitality or meeting room, but we're not all staying in the same hotel. I just need some thoughts on these matters. I feel that I'm traveling in a circle.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for 50-year class reunion?

You might be able to get some assistance from the New Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau. They have listings of the various purveyors, and will register your event allowing interested vendors to contact you.

The group that operates Chartres House Cafe has a number of private party venues serving moderately priced food and beverages. I'd also check out the upstairs banquet room at Napoleon House.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for 50-year class reunion?

I might add that it's been my experience that most fixed per person price "open" bar events in New Orleans are are pretty good deal; they don't skimp on the booze, although your seniors might not be up to consuming the typical amont. Some restaurants, hotels, bars will furnish a private reception room if you guarantee a minimum food/beverage purchase amount to cover the bartender/server and the exclusive use of the room.

AR
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for 50-year class reunion?

It is standard practice for most places (not just in New Orleans) to charge a room usage fee unless you are a regular customer and spend a lot of $$$ with them often. The bar charge per person is also standard if you are having an open bar. Some places will allow a "per drink" arrangement, but depending on your group and how much they drink, that might bemore costly than the open bar. One option is to buy one or two drinks per person and give them coupons for those drinks...after that, then they would pay for their own. Your best bet would be to have the hospitality at the site where you have the dinner and have it just before dinner. That would insure the site of a bit more $$$ and they might negotiate on the room charge. Is there some reason you might want a hospitality/meeting room in addition to the hospitality/dinner? I was not clear on that.

Fayetteville...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for 50-year class reunion?

Thanks so much for these replies. We'll be in New Orleans for 3 or 4 days, coming in from areas across the country, and we thought it would be a good idea to have a central location where we could hang out, etc. I suppose if someone would get a large suite, that would work, but I doubt that will happen.

Fifty years ago our class from Arkansas came to New Orleans for a week-long senior trip and was sent home after only a few hours because some boys were seen bringing liquor back to their room...

Sooo, after 50 years we are returning!!! HA

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for 50-year class reunion?

That is hilarious. I'm from Arkansas also. I think maybe kids from Arkansas go to New Orleans with the sole purpose of getting in trouble! Once, when we were teens visiting with our parents, we made up a story to get away from dinner with the parents early and headed straight for Bourbon Street. We thought we were big shots walking down Bourbon. Then when we tried to get in the first bar, the doorman closed the door and said loudly to our embarrassment "Sorry boys, the shrine circus is on the next corner."

Fayetteville...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant for 50-year class reunion?

That's too funny! At each class reunion we've spent most of the time ranting and laughing over our Big Trip that did not happen. This year a couple of us said,"Let's go. We can't be sent home now!"

And so the planning began...difficult to do when everyone is so far apart. Thank goodness for texting and emails. I've been to New Orleans quite a few times through the years and dearly love it, but it's different trying to make something work for such a variety of people.

Again thanks for the responses.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant for 50-year class reunion?

As a former high school "rebel" I'm loving your second chance trip. Having participated in a number of group type NOLA visits, we've found that designating a long hours centrally located plain ol' bar (no real loud music) as a meetup place works well. If someone wants to go out and play, eat or whatever, they just go to the meetup bar and somebody's usually there. It could be a hotel bar or one of the many neighborhood type bars scattered throughout the Quarter, just so long as it's open from late morning through late night, is a good environment within which to visit, has reasonably priced drinks, and is centrally located. I happen to have some level of expertise related to such bars. If you are interested in assistance in choosing such a bar, just let us know what some of the more popular hotels are to assist with location choice.

Fayetteville...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant for 50-year class reunion?

Loophole, thanks. I'm thinking perhaps the first afternoon we could meet up at Pat O'Brien's in the courtyard. I'll check to see if it's available about 3-5, sometime that's not a mealtime. Sounds reasonable to me. Does it to you?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant for 50-year class reunion?

Pat O'Brien's is pretty much a must do specified gathering for a group such as yours; you'll have a great time. But I was thinking more of a designated plain ol' bar to serve as "headquarters" or a fall back place, where folks can meet up most any time, not at a specified time.

10. Re: Restaurant for 50-year class reunion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 27, 2014