We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Connecticut to New Orleans

New Haven...
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Connecticut to New Orleans

Hi! I'm moving from Connecticut to New Orleans in July and will be driving down with one of my friends and my 7 year old Chocolate Lab. We are looking for some interesting places to stop along the way. We don't have any major time constraints so we can go off course a little. Any ideas for routes or stops? Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
Leonia
Level Contributor
111 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Connecticut to New Orleans

hmmm not sure but I know that kimpton hotels are usually pet friendly. That may help you in terms of places to stay! I stayed at one in boston and they were very dog friendly. You may want to see how dog friendly or if they have size requirements.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Connecticut to New Orleans

If you are interested in Abe Lincoln history you might want to stop off in Springfield Illinois and see the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum. It is the best museum I have ever been to. St. Louis Missouri just 100 miles south of Springfield is a fun city to visit. You could go up the Arch, tour the Anheuser Busch brewery, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Springfield
Springfield
Louisiana
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Connecticut to New Orleans

hey jlr...that puts them about 300 miles outside of a straight drive down, so I somehow doubt they'll be driving through Illinois...Good advice from TravelGirl when bringing a pooch! :)

Robotshow, if you're a member of CAA or have an extended service plan on your car, both provide maps, trip tix, sights to see along the way, reccomendations on where to stay etc. You might want to look into that as well.

Mentioned in this post
Illinois
Illinois
United States
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,682 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Connecticut to New Orleans

You might want to check out the Road Trips Forum at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Edited: 12:11 pm, February 21, 2013
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Connecticut to New Orleans

I know Herm but he said they aren't on a time frame and are willing to go off track. I guess it will just depend on what route he takes.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Connecticut to New Orleans

hey jlr, I'd go off track just about anytime to get back around St. Louis...but not so much with a 7 year old Lab :)

7. Re: Driving from Connecticut to New Orleans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:30 am, April 02, 2018
Hartford
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Connecticut to New Orleans

Hey! I'm moving to no from CT! How was your experience? Where did you stop? Where in no do you live? Do you love it? Id love to hear from you. My email is goddesskrystina@aim.com. thanks!!

Hartford
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Connecticut to New Orleans

Hey! I'm moving to no from CT! How was your experience? Where did you stop? Where in no do you live? Do you love it? Id love to hear from you. My email is goddesskrystina@aim.com. thanks!!

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Connecticut to New Orleans

Drive to exit 40 on I-91. Take Southwest Airlines.

Have car shipped. Not sure you can get they-ah from hey-ah, anyway.

Seriously, unless you're coming through at 4 am stay off the Cross Bronx...I would take the Merritt Parkway to the Hutchinson to Cross County to Henry Hudson and hit the GW from the North....once in NJ, call Take Me to NOLA for the next segment.