We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking in the french quarter

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wigan
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
drinking in the french quarter

hi,we are going to new orleans in june with my daughter and her boyfriendwho are both 20,myself and my wife are early 50s.i have heard that in a lot of places they will be allowed to drink alcohol as long as they are with us,does anyone know if this is true and if so can anyone reccomend any bars with music that will suit us all(we are all into music from 50/60s soul and r n b to modern music?

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: drinking in the french quarter

Well... it's true that they might not be carded in some places because the servers might assume that they must be 21 if they are with you but the drinking age is 21 without a special allowance for underage drinking with parents.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,991 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: drinking in the french quarter

sjcal, not true. Louisiana law allows those under the age of 21 to consume alcohol if then accompanied by and in the presence of a parent or legal guardian. However, the establishment is under no obligation to so serve, and many servers elect not to do so for a number of reasons, including the difficulty of establishing parent/child identity. Although alcohol serving establishments without gaming (poker) machines can admit those between 18 and 21, many elect not to do so, some because of the terms of their insurance. Not long ago the de facto drinking age in Louisiana was 18. But over the last five years the enforcement of the 21 year old minimum drinking age has become much more intense. Many of the larger more popular drinking venues not longer admit those under 21. However, restaurant type venues will often allow what appears to be parents to serve alcohol to what appears to be their children.

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: drinking in the french quarter

Interesting! I stand corrected.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: drinking in the french quarter

Could be that you heard that some bars will let underage people in to listen to music if they are with their parents. If there's no gaming machines in the establishement, it's a possibility.

Fairfax
Level Contributor
6 posts
5. Re: drinking in the french quarter

I'll be visiting NOLA with my family this summer.

We have two boys, aged 18 and 15. The 15 year old is a tenor sax player and will be very interested in checking out some live jazz. Will my young men be allowed in to the music establishments on Frenchman Street?

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: drinking in the french quarter

@Bass Traveler, My initial reaction would be no to both.

There are a some clubs that you can hear very well from the street, as well as the Spotted Cat where you can look right through the front window and watch the band up close. So they will have some opportunities to check out music even though not being allowed in the clubs.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,991 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: drinking in the french quarter

Bass, I've heard, second hand, that Three Muses on Frenchmen St., having a significant food component, admits minors with what appears to be their parent. You might want to call ahead to check this out. There are MANY Forum threads addressing the many opportunities for children to experience music in New Orleans.

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: drinking in the french quarter

BassTraveler, if you go early, I think you have a better chance. Once I was in BMC and saw some children around 8-10 years old enjoying the music with their parents. This was probably around 6 or 7 on a Sunday.

Level Contributor
482 posts
9. Re: drinking in the french quarter

Take them to Preservation Hall!

10. Re: drinking in the french quarter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 09, 2014