We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far in advance should we buy our October airlne ticket?

Cincinnati
1 post
Save Topic
How far in advance should we buy our October airlne ticket?

We'll leaving from Cincinnati to New Orleans in October- traveling with a baby, so we prefer a non-stop. Should we wait or buy now (February)? prices are around $400.

Fairfield Ohio
Level Contributor
188 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far in advance should we buy our October airlne ticket?

We're driving down from the Cincy area in July and hoping to have our son fly out of Cincy and join us for a few days. The tix on Delta non stop for July are about $400 also. We're holding out on buying tickets. Not sure prices will come down but sure am hoping so!!!

KVR
Odessa, Texas
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far in advance should we buy our October airlne ticket?

There are several articles regarding this same question if you Google it. We fly international/domestic at least twice per year, and I've found based on experience about 4 - 6 weeks out provided me with the best price for a package (air/hotel) deal.

We are going to New Orleans in April and I won't book until around the 1st or 2nd week of March. I know when I'm ready to book, I search everyday, and usually several times during the day, until I find a price I can live with and then just book it.

Also, watch the rise and fall of fuel prices on the National News. When fuel prices fall it's usually a good time to start searching for deals.

I've also found that searching through the summer months for a November/December vacation was a waste of time. For our yearly December trips, I start looking the 2nd week of September, after the kids have returned to school, and have usually gotten around an average of $200 price difference for a package to the Caribbean/Mexico.

Montreal
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far in advance should we buy our October airlne ticket?

now is definitely not the time:) we made the mistake of booking in novemeber for our trip february 13th and kicked ourselves when we saw december prices go down to 282 (we payed close to 100$ more) that being said, the flights were longer (10-12h with at least one transfer), where as by booking a little in advance we were able to get a direct flight. guess it all depends on your budget:) we've decided to be happy with our 5h morning flight.

Montreal
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far in advance should we buy our October airlne ticket?

btw, the same doesn't apply to hotels if you have a specific one in mind that you really want to stay at (i'm not talking about priceline/hotwire/etc deals). if you're dead set on staying at a certain location and are booking with them directly, book as soon as you can. we lost our first and second choice because we waited a bit too long and we booked in august or september... can't remember which..but it seemed reasonably enough in advance.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far in advance should we buy our October airlne ticket?

Cincinnati is a Delta hub so DL is your only nonstop option. I don't know if $400 is a good price or not but I'd wait for sale. Sign up for one of the "airfare alerts" offered by tripadvisor, orbitz or any of several other sites. I would think it should be around $300 when the airlines are running sales.

Keep in mind that October is high season in New Orleans, though, and demand is stronger than in summer.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far in advance should we buy our October airlne ticket?

You said you are traveling with a baby - how badly do you want a non-stop and how important are the times of your flight?

I agree that the 6 weeks ( unless they advertise a sale) mark is where I start looking but my plans can usually be flexible. You may want to pay a little more to make sure you have what you want.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,252 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far in advance should we buy our October airlne ticket?

I always book 8 months out and have never seen the flight go down, only up.I'm starting today to look at flights for Oct.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far in advance should we buy our October airlne ticket?

CVG-MSY is $298 for dates in mid March, which may suggest you should wait. Sometimes, it's actually too early to book hotels and airfare! I like the "6 week rule" others have suggested.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,252 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far in advance should we buy our October airlne ticket?

Jet Blue from Boston is $305 and JFK is $275, taxes inlc. and both nonstop for Oct.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How far in advance should we buy our October airlne ticket?

When in October are you planning to visit? If it's the Fri./Sat./Sun. before Halloween I'd say start checking now. When I flew down last year for Halloween from Chicago O'Hare, my roundtrip airfare was $480. Our roundtrip fares normally run anywhere from $330 - $400 at most. Like most I started checking 9 months out and fares never came down for my time frame. Then mid-summer when Kayak.com started adding the prompt, "only 2 seats left on this plane," I booked.