We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans with a 7 Year Old - Two Questions

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New Orleans with a 7 Year Old - Two Questions

I am a single mom and planning a trip with my 7 year old daughter during her spring break. I have a pretty good itinerary worked out (I think):

Aquarium/Insectarium

Zoo, Garden District on Trolley

Carriage Ride

Honey Island Swamp Tour

Riverboat Cruise

Cooking Class

Two questions: I'm looking at staying at the Chateau Lemoyne (heated pool) and a Holiday Inn property (I'm all about points). I know it is on the edge of the Quarter...is it kid friendly?

Also, I'd like my daughter to hear some music and experience some of that culture, but clearly don't want her in the midst of all the Bourbon street hullabaloo at night. Are there any places that play music early in the evening that would be kid friendly?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans with a 7 Year Old - Two Questions

Preservation Hall is the place to take your daughter for music .

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans with a 7 Year Old - Two Questions

There's music on the streets during the day. And there are also 2 restaurants that have live music daily, both located on Decatur. The Market Cafe and the Gazebo Cafe.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans with a 7 Year Old - Two Questions

In a perfect situation, a visitor with a child would probably prefer lodging between Bourbon St. and the River, avoiding the necessity of crossing Bourbon St. However, the Chateau LeMoyne itself is in a relatively kid friendly location, and going straight across Bourbon St. at Bienville St or Conti St., walking along next to the Royal Sonesta Hotel, is not that big of a deal. I would avoid walking up and down Bourbon St. after dark or late Saturday afternoon with a child, using either the parallel Royal St. or Dauphine St.

Uncasville...
Level Contributor
271 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans with a 7 Year Old - Two Questions

You may want to try going to Palm Court Restaurant which has dinner and music. It is suppose to be family friendly.

New Orleans...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans with a 7 Year Old - Two Questions

You could do lunch or brunch at Little Gem Saloon. They have a stage in the main dining room showcasing live local acts.

6. Re: New Orleans with a 7 Year Old - Two Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 06, 2014