We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nola with a family.

Mpls, MN
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nola with a family.

Hello we are taking a family road trip to New Orleans and we are on a budget! 2 adults 3 children ages 6,14,16. We are looking at some colleges but also want to have a good time. I am thinking we want to stay in the French Q area, but parking sounds expensive. If we get a hotel on the outskirts will we have a hard time getting back and forth. Is it better to just pay parking?

What affordable hotels should we look at? We like suites and free breakfast. What are the must sees why we are there? For both families and nightlife for adults. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Going in March.

Thanks!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
680 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nola with a family.

I find these hotels to be the most budget friendly in the French Quarter:

Prince Conti

Hotel St. Marie

Le Richelieu - $20 parking with access to your car however their rates state two people max and then they want to charge for each additional person. When I stayed there I talked them into letting my son stay for free.

Dauphine Orleans

Provincial

Place de Armes

Also check out Courtyard Marriott Downtown/Iberville Suites. Their rates have gone up recently due to a complete renovation but the suite is super nice and big with a separate bedroom. Also located in the French Quarter.

I've stayed at the Prince Conti, Hotel St. Marie, Le Richelieu, and Marriott and liked them all, especially the Marriott.

You could also stay in the Garden District and take the streetcar to the French Quarter but it is preferable to stay in the French Quarter.

In the Garden District try Avenue Plaza Resort. The streetcar stops right outside of the hotel. This is actually a timeshare but they do rent out rooms. I stayed here several years ago and liked it.

The Prytania Park Hotel is also in the Garden District and from what I've read close to the streetcar line. The parking is free and the rates are really reasonable. I haven't stayed here but it looks cute.

Family Friendly Attractions:

Children's Museum - for your little one

Audubon Zoo, Insectarium, Aquarium

Mardi Gras World (Great Fun)

City Park

Steamboat Natchez

For the adults check out Frenchmen St. I mostly do the family things when I go and don't go out a whole lot.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nola with a family.

Be sure to tell the front desk that you're there to visit colleges. They might give you a discount on the parking fee. The Monteleone waived our full parking fee each time we visited. Good luck!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,889 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nola with a family.

Although there are some free parking spaces in the French Quarter/Central Business District, chances are you will pay $15-20 per day for parking if you drive in for the day. In addttion to the above mentioned hotels, you might want to check out Country Inn and Suites, well located on Magazine St in the Central Business District, about 3-4 blocks from the French Quarter.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nola with a family.

I would also check out the Drury Inn. It's also just a couple blocks off of Canal and has a free breakfast and happy hour (includes two drinks if I remember right along with some food). I believe the parking was $17.00 a day but is on-site.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nola with a family.

Budget Eats for families: P&G Cafeteria on Baronne for Saturday lunch. Fried seafood, shrimp creole, oyster po-boys, all incredibly reasonably priced and not crowded like Mothers. Your 6-yr-old will enjoy turtle-watching by the back window! Katie's in mid-city is family friendly.

Budget sites: City Park, Jean Lafitte National Park swamp in Barataria are both FREE and great walks for families. The zoo is great, but with a family of 5 can start climbing in price. The Canal Street FERRY IS FREE and a great ride with best photo-taking opps in all of the city. On the other side is Dry Dock which is very family friendly and good for lunch or dinner.

Go to Three Muses on Frenchmen-- go early for dinner and live music with the kids!!

Mpls, MN
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nola with a family.

Thank you these are all great!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nola with a family.

We have stayed at the Residence Inn Downtown in the warehouse district and I highly recommend it! A bit of a walk to the FQ, but quieter and the bus (Magazine) to the Audobon Zoo is a block away. The Children's Museum is on the same block. 1 or 2 BR suites. FREE breakfast and evening snack!! Nice pool and some of the friendliest staff we've had in our travels. We'll definitely stay there again.

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nola with a family.

You might want to take a look at neworleansonline.com for 25 free things to do, as well as, hotels, coupons, restaurants, maps, a calendar of events, etc.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
316 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nola with a family.

I second the Drury suggestion. Nice happy hour and breakfast, relatively cheap parking. I think it is 2 cocktails for the adults at happy hour, and a few snack-type foods which can help keep the kids satisfied if until dinner. And it's right on the streetcar line too. I've stayed there a few times. Not right in the quarter but close and usually the price is good. But the on-site non-valet parking is a plus IMO. Don't need to wait for (and tip) a valet.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
33 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nola with a family.

I agree with the Drury In suggestions. It's very kid-friendly and the "happy hour" could serve as dinner. Two drinks for the adults and plenty of food for the kiddos. They also have a popcorn machine as well as 24-hr sodas (free). It's in the Central Business District -- within walking distance of the French Quarter but much quieter at night. But wherever you stay, don't take young kids to Bourbon Street, especially at night.

Edited: 11:15 pm, February 06, 2013