We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May trip booked

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
May trip booked

This will be another trip I'm taking on my own, and it would be lovely to meet other posters from this board. I'll be in NOLA May 16-23, staying at the Villa Convento (what a surprise, right? ;) )

I know my trip will overlap with Ccolor's by one day, but I think I'm missing the rest of the crowd who are coming for Memorial Day (KCK? Loop? What are your exact dates?) Other plans I have for May made it impossible to choose different dates, though.

This will be a different trip than the ones before, as most of my afternoons will be spent apartment hunting. But that still leaves evenings, and I'd absolutely love to meet some of our posters for a drink or two or more, or see a band or have dinner or all of the above. The "fun and entertainment" part of the trip has not yet taken shape on the drawing board, but I'm sure it will. :)

It would also be great to meet any of the locals, especially those who have moved to New Orleans from other parts of the country themselves, as I'll have tons of questions of practical nature.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: May trip booked

Rodent, I have been to Arnaud's Jazz Bistro. It has been quite a few years but I don't think the menu has changed much. I had the Shrimp Arnaud for a starter, Trout Almandine for the entree and Strawberries Arnaud for dessert. It was all delicous but very traditional.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: May trip booked

How did I miss this thread?? Where are you looking to settle into?? Looking at your dates, unless anything unusual pops up...we can spend some time Tuesday getting familiar with places to 'make groceries', the libraries, good places for booze, some good bakeries, etc. Can show you how to get up on the levee for bike riding, too...

I'll keep the day as open as I can, if you like.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: May trip booked

Vera, that would be wonderful!!! I'll definitely set time aside on that Tuesday for it (though I'm pretty sure you'll see me before then at Red Gravy, too). When I was writing to Highway61 yesterday, I mentioned local banks and good internet providers as an example of what kind of questions I have, but yes, yes, yes, all the things you mentioned are also among the type of info I'm looking for. You're so sweet to offer your time and advice, thanks a million!!!

As for area, my heart is kind of set on the Bywater, but I won't completely rule out other parts of town if I see something that looks perfect otherwise and your neck of the woods is among my other favourites. I guess I just want to have a look at as many places as I can and then decide, though if I do find something perfect in the Bywater, it will be my first choice. :)

Herm, let's make it 2:2, OK? We know you'd have made the second leap if not for stupid circumstances beyond your control, so the intention counts. :) Love you too.

Lilli and Bcla, thank you for the restaurant info. Arnaud's Jazz Bistro is tempting me with the dishes that Sequoia and Mr Sequoia had and posted pictures of. There was duck in some sort of blueberry sauce and there was "Crab Karen" and I couldn't decide which one looked better. La Petite Grocery, on the other hand, has something (both in the lunch and dinner menus) that looks utmostly tempting, question is whether the "garlic jus" it comes with can be made sans garlic.

One more food question - does anyone have a first hand experience with Kukhnya, the "Polish Kitchen" by Siberia? Loop, I remember you mentioned it last May, but I don't remember if you had gone there or wanted to go. Is this permanent or is it a pop up that may or may not be there on a given night? As a born and raised Pole, I'd like to finally go there and verify the authenticity. ;)

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: May trip booked

Cheers for a great trip and finding a fantastic apartment on your first afternoon!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,312 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: May trip booked

Rodent, we checked out Siberia in May. There was a slate of NOLA lady vocalists appearing. We were somewhat disappointed in the music because it was kind of "folky" solo stuff, no bands. We didn't sample the food, but I kind of scoped out the "restaurant" portion of the bar for future reference. The food service seems a rather permanent fixture, and as the following link points out, is now open daily. It's kind of large take-out booth type kitchen, with tables and chairs available in a close-by back room for those eating more substantial meals. Considering we were there around 10 PM, kind of between dinner and late night snacks, the food service was rather popular, and looked pretty good, but unlike you I'm not familar with that culinary genre. See:

http://siberianola.com/kukhnya---menu

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: May trip booked

Loop, thanks info the info and the link. :) I'm not really interested in entertainment there, as it seems to be mostly metal. But the menu does look interesting. Some of the items I know and recognize as Polish, others are most likely Russian. I might give it a try, perhaps on the very first night, in fact.

Kitty, I don't think I'll go apartment hunting on the very first afternoon, that will be just pure entertainment. At the moment, the plans (which will likely change a million times by May) for the first afternoon look more or less like this: arrive at 2, be at hotel by 2.30, shop Walgreen's for essentials (bottled water and such), be at Li'l Dizzy's as they open for dinner at 4.00, stuff myself with Trout Baquet and bread pudding, go somewhere for a drink or two and then somewhere else for entertainment (I can't see any recent listings whether Stooges Brass Band still plays at Hi-Ho on Thursdays, it doesn't appear to be the case :( ).

I also know (entertainment-wise) that on the last night in town, which is a Wednesday, I want to check out TBC Brass Band and Action Jackson's event at a venue called Celebration Hall in the 7th Ward/St. Bernard Parish (yes, yes, yes, I know all about safety, cabbing it there and back and stuff). This seems to be a weekly event . In September, we got a flier about it at the second line we went to, and I saw an ad on some website (wwoz maybe?) that suggests it's a weekly event. We almost went to it in September (incidentally, it was our last night in town as well), but opted for Treme Brass Band at Candlelight instead and were severely disappointed. Not by the music, that was top notch as always. But Ken, the trumpet player who I guess is the band leader at this point, was drunk out of his mind (I found it hard to believe he could still play). As we were waiting for the cab after the show, he came up to us and asked where we were from. Upon hearing "Olympia, Washington", he made a comment about the area that I don't remember word by word but it included a word that starts with "f" and rhymes with "maggots". We still tipped him larger than usual ($20 IIRC), but that was because at some point he grabbed my husband's video camera and went to the band area to film them from up close. A lot of the footage is pretty useless (pitch black, as he incidentally covered the screen with his hand) and looks ... well, like something filmed by someone who is completely drunk, but the bits when he did get the band are a unique thing we wouldn't have got otherwise. :)

So, that's first and last night - with a lot of productive time but also a lot of fun to fill the days in between. :)

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: May trip booked

Rodent, I've done Arnaud's jazz bistro many times. Same good menu as the more formal dining room. The Jazz trio circles the room taking requests. Dress is more casual, jeans are common, during a summer visit some of the guys wore dress shorts and polos. FYI, they do tack on a ~$4 entertainment fee to the bill. Good vibe.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: May trip booked

Rodent, since you're now a YIT (Yat-in-training), I should point out that Celebration Hall is on St. Bernard Ave. (do exercise caution, please), not in St. Bernard Parish. You don't want to get those confused. Speaking of things Polish, have you ever met Ziggy Cichowski? He is the pastry guy at Maple St. Patisserie (at least he used to be, don't know if he is still there). Might have an intersting perspective.

nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2010/09/maple_stre…

Edited: 2:06 pm, February 01, 2013
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: May trip booked

Drew, thanks for the info and yes, I've noticed the $4 entertainment charge on their website.

61, oops, that was a silly mistake, thanks for correcting. :) I know where it is on the map and would give the cab driver a street address (since that's what United seems to require anyway), so I wouldn't get lost. Yes, caution will be exercised, promised. :) Never heard of Ziggy Cichowski, thanks for sharing that as well. YIT, I like that. :)

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,654 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: May trip booked

Ola people, my ears were burning. Are you talking about me?

Rodent, u moving to NOLA? That's bold. Talking about Bold did you see your friend Nathaniel winning Chopped?

I cant help with your move sorry, but if you ever decide to move to say Staten Island...