We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in from Gulfport this Fri/Sat

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
8 posts
Save Topic
Driving in from Gulfport this Fri/Sat

Hi all. I'm staying in Gulfport for the Super Bowl. I have parking in a garage reserved for gameday, but what's my best option for getting into New Orleans on Friday and Saturday? I'd imagine we'll be hitting up Bourbon Street/French Quarter, and I'd also like to check out Frenchmen Street and maybe a few things farther uptown. I imagine parking anywhere around the FQ will be next to impossible, plus all the road closures. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in from Gulfport this Fri/Sat

Anyway, for Fri-Sat I'd recommend parking on the street in the Marginy east of Elysian Fields (about 2 blocks east of Frenchman St) - it's free to park and a decent area, close to the French Quarter, too. We've never had a problem.

BTW, Gulfport isn't close for driving in multiple days. You may want to consider Slidell or Covington instead..?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
606 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in from Gulfport this Fri/Sat

Gulfport's really not that bad of a drive considering you are saving thousands on hotel rooms. It's an hour and a half at most and some people commute nearly that far every day in their jobs. Hopefully you will have a designated driver. I would definitely park around Esplanade or Elysian Fields. Coming from the east you will want to exit either the Orleans Ave exit or the exit just before because once you pass those exits off ramps will be closed. Traffic in the CBD is crazy and I wouldn't even get caught up in it. Just exit early and stay on the east side of the Quarter. That is your best bet. At the end of the day you can take a cab to your car if needed.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in from Gulfport this Fri/Sat

No, please don't park in the Marigny on our residential streets. Park in a garage or lot....or maybe in Lake View, they have driveways.

Baltimore, Maryland
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in from Gulfport this Fri/Sat

Thanks for the advice. Another alternative I've considered is parking in Uptown and taking the St. Charles streetcar up to the Quarter/CBD/etc. Would that be a viable plan too?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in from Gulfport this Fri/Sat

I don't think there are that many parking garages in Uptown either. Mainly residential street parking as well. Run a Google search for parking garage near Uptown, New Orleans, LA. The map is helpful.

I would hope the city &/or tourism websites have highlighted parking options.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in from Gulfport this Fri/Sat

As far as I can tell, the only garages are in the CDB/Quarter area and outrageously expensive this weekend. Like in the hundreds and not even on game day.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in from Gulfport this Fri/Sat

My suggestions:

1. park Uptown on or in the first block off of St. Charles (above Napoleon) and take the St. Charles streetcar in.

or

2. park in Mid-City on or in the first block off of Canal (above Jeff Davis) and take the Canal streetcar in.

Gulfport, MS
Level Contributor
728 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in from Gulfport this Fri/Sat

It would be cheaper to take a bus from Gulfport to New Orleans ... And more convenient.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in from Gulfport this Fri/Sat

I've been looking into buses but can't really find much info on the options for doing that. Any suggestions?

(BTW, I'm the thread-starter. My name changed for some reason when I logged in using Facebook.)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in from Gulfport this Fri/Sat

I would drive in, park uptown and take the street car.