We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip planned for 24 - 28 Jan

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip planned for 24 - 28 Jan

I've seen some great advice here and read some guidebooks but I still have a couple of questions, particularly because we're going for Carnival and not Mardis Gras proper (my husband would be extremely uncomfortable in Mardis Gras crowds!).

1. Dodgy areas: I read that I shouldn't cross over Rampart in the FQ but I can't find out where I read that. Is this good advice? The hotel we're staying at is just below Rampart (On St Peter) and I kinda want to check out Louis Armstrong park since it's so close but not if its not safe!

2. We want to catch several parades (Barkus and Chewbacchus since we like Sci Fi and dogs) but I can't tell if some krewes are more exciting than others for that weekend so would appreciate any opinions on who to catch.

3. Since we're pre-mardi gras craziness, how big are the crowds going to be? Do we still need to find watching points a couple of hours ahead of time (we have feet and public transport only!)?

4. Any tips on figuring out where to be and when? I saw some parade apps for the iphone but the route info isn't great - anyone recommend a good way of figuring parade times and locations on the fly?

Appreciate your thoughts. We'll also be checking out the Garden District, a cemetery (TBD but recommendations gratefully received), local food and bars and as many parks as we can handle (yes, we'll be running out of time as soon as we get there!).

Thanks!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip planned for 24 - 28 Jan

The best night parades of the first weekend will be Saturday night so I would put those on the list. If you are a dog fancier, you'll love Barkus, definitely worth seeing. If you want conventional day parades, see the Sat. afternoon parade(s) if you like. If you have to choose between day and night parades, choose the nighttime parades. Crowds will be good-sized, but quite manageable compared to the second weekend. You can show up any time for the parade. The earlier you arrive, the closer you can get to the floats and the more likely you are to catch throws. If you don't care about throws, come whenever you like. Not sure what apps you're talking about that don't have accurate routes. I recommend the Parade Tracker from Channel 6 or the one from Channel 4, both linked below. Both of these have zoomable maps, locate both you and the head units of the parade as well as the start and finish points. They also send push alerts to tell you if there is a major delay (quite common) or of things get re-scheduled or a route shortened due to weather. Very helpful to have out on the route (but beware of smartphone stealers!).

calliopedigital.com/2013/…

wwltv.com/entertainment/mardi-gras/Mardi-Gra…

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip planned for 24 - 28 Jan

The do not cross Rampart St thing is more in the evening/nighttime as it get's pretty empty, not a lot of foot traffic. You're fine during the day.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip planned for 24 - 28 Jan

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this useful info! Love knowing a little about what to expect!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip planned for 24 - 28 Jan

Most of the time on my Jan 3-10 visit my car was Aparked "across from Rampart" usually in front of St. Augustine's parking lot. We walked to and from that area at all times of the day. We took an excellent walking of Treme' (that's the name of the area and it's filled with amazing history) through French Quarter Phantoms (Emily was a super fun and knowledgeable tour guide) I've also walked to and from the Candlelight Lounge at night and been on an evening bar crawl in the area. Kermit Ruffin's Speakeasy Lounge is also in that area.

Do please check out Armstrong Park. I didn't until this last trip and I'm sorry I hadn't. It's really beautiful.

No matter where you are, always be aware of your surroundings and don't go anywhere you don't feel comfortable. Sometimes I've looked down a street and felt eerie about it and then changed my path.

I've been to quite a few cemeteries in New Orleans. St Louis 1 and 3, Lafayette #1 (that's the one in the Garden District), Metairie (it's HUGE), Greenwood and Cypress Grove (accessible on the Canal St. CEMETERIES streetcar) and most recently St. Roch #1. There is also a St. Roch #2 directly across from #!, but lack of time prevented exploration. They're all really interesting. St. Louis 3 is probably my least favorite because the well paved wide paths take away some of the charm for me.

Edited: 12:22 pm, January 12, 2013
5. Re: Trip planned for 24 - 28 Jan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 14, 2014