We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oysters

Newington...
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Topic
Oysters

My Husband and I are planning our second trip to NO in July to celebrate both our birthdays and we have yet to try oysters. This trip I want to. I have heard about "char broiled oysters". Who has the best of those? I dont think I could ever eat them as they are!

Daphne
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oysters

Drago's in the Hilton Hotel has the best as far as I'm concerned. There are several restuarants that have them but Drago's is the best. Please do yourself a favor and try them.

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oysters

I've never had oysters either. Char broiled. .... So you just slurp them down? How do you eat them? Sorry to sound uneducated regarding this.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oysters

I second Drago's. However, many of the other food offerings there can be mediocre. I suggest enjoying charbroiled oysters, along with raw half-shells if you're up to it, at the bar or oyster bar along with cocktails. Sometimes after a light "continental" breakfast at the hotel, this can be a real treat around 11 AM opening time.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,408 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oysters

I find it easier to eat the char grilled with a fork.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oysters

With the charbroiled, I loosen the meat from the shell with a fork. then scoop the meat into my mouth using the fork; no need for condiments.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oysters

Note that Drago's refers to them as charBROILED, while other places call them charGRILLED, basically them same, although I personally prefer Drago's.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oysters

BTW, although not often mentioned in connection with charbroiled(grilled) oysters, I like Deanie's version almost as much as Drago's.

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oysters

Drago's are very good

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oysters

We like Acmes,and we also use a fork.Couldn't stand the raw oyster on the half shell.Dragoo's is on my list for the next trip.

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oysters

We like Acmes,and we also use a fork.Couldn't stand the raw oyster on the half shell.Dragoo's is on my list for the next trip.