We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mardi Gras "wet blankets"

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mardi Gras "wet blankets"

I just wanted to comment on some of the places that changed their prices during Mardi Gras. I can understand Hotels doing this, but I think restaurants and bars that raised their prices or decreased the portions of their servings sould be fined or something. They are going to make a killing anyway with all the extra people coming in, but to suspend their regular Happy Hour, or double the price of a meal or drink makes one wonder "just how greedy can some people be?"

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mardi Gras "wet blankets"

Are you kidding? It's typical "supply vs demand." If I owned a bar, I wouldn't offer specials during MG either. Why would I? It's one thing to gouge during a hurricane or some other emergency but quite another to charge your regular prices or offer a limited menu during a high-demand event.

Yes, I paid top dollar at restaurants and bars all weekend, too and wish it wasn't so. However, I can't realistically expect to attend the Rose Bowl, the Macy's Parade, Fantasy Fest in Key West, etc. and have "drink specials" thrown at me.

(I might also add that no one complains when hotels, bars and restaurants lower their prices during the summer!)

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,020 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mardi Gras "wet blankets"

I agree with Cajunwave. Just think how hard the people in the food and beverage business work during Mardi Gras. I would not want to do it for any amount of money. I was in New Orleans last year for Mardi Gras and brought a cooler and a trunk full of beer. Sure we bought drinks out, but this helped cut down on costs.

Why would anyone have sales when people are lined up to buy your product at full cost? Hurricanes and emergency situations excepted, of course.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
575 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mardi Gras "wet blankets"

I agree with the two other posts. As CajunWave described it, it is simply an issue of 'supply and demand'. Special events are always going to carry a price tag for the customer and except for the novice, no one should be shocked at the inflated prices. I just got back from MG and the prices were exactly as I expected. Yeah, I would've liked for the prices to have been lower, but realistically that's not going to happen and I wouldn't expect it to. This is just something you have to deal with if you want to attend special events.

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mardi Gras "wet blankets"

Let me go into a little detail here without calling names. A bar on Bourbon advertised a 3 for 1 drink special during Mardi Gras. They advertise it on the radio, they advertise it on the internet, it is advertised in the paper, also on fliers and God know where else.... You go there and have to pay to get in the bar, something they don't normally do (and it's not a cover charge just admission). Once you're inside they tell you the drink special has been suspended (even though they are still advertising there 3 for 1 special). Then later you have to go to the bathroom and you have to pay to go there!

The law of supply and demand is basicly "When the demand for a product goes up, the price goes down. When the product is in short supply the price goes up." Both the masive supply and the lagre demand should have kept he prices down if you going by the "law of supply and demand".

If you are going to promise people something to get them to your business you should follow thru. I don't mind paying alot for a meal when that's what I want and expect. But I on the other hand don't like being lied to or misled. What happened here was not much more than price gouging tourist.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mardi Gras "wet blankets"

You obviously never took Economics 101. When demand goes up, so does price. Low demand = low price.

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mardi Gras "wet blankets"

A little added info:

CajinWave,

It's true, I didn't take Economics 101 in Jr. College, but evidently you forgot about about an important factor....,"supply", (hince "Supply and Demand").

Quoting Hurbert D. Henderson, M.A., one of the formost authorities in the field of Economics from his lecture at The University of Cambridge, "When, at the price ruling supply exceeds the demand, the price tends to fall. A rise in price, sooner or later, decreases the demand."

You can buy the lecture in its entirety off the net if you want to brush up.

Others replied that it was a good thing cause everyone was making more money. The driver was still getting his regular rate. The supplier was still selling it for it's regular price. The Bartenders and waitresses were making the same (less actually). Nobody was getting anything extra (except the owner of the bar). There regular price is a 1000% mark up. They buy it, for on average, 50 cents a can and sell it for $5 per can.

The only thing I noticed was that people were paying so much

for their drinks, they were being tight with the tips (very little or none).

Pensacola, FL
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mardi Gras "wet blankets"

Correction: hence, foremost

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mardi Gras "wet blankets"

This is the last post I'll make on this rather silly thread but I fail to understand how "supply" even enters into the equation. Simply put, there is no shortage or major surplus of food, beverage or entertainment. Restaurants and bars can get as much as they want. I didn't go anywhere during Mardi Gras where I was told "sorry, we're out of Bud Light" or "we have ten thousand extra Bud Lights." In almost all cases, if the bar doesn't sell it during MG, it will soon. No incentive to discount!

Your original post equates the lack of a happy hour during a special event as "greedy." My response is that there is simply no incentive (NONE!) to offer such. In fact, folks such as me and you will pay twice as much (your words as well) because we're in an area where the market will support this. You can misquote economic theory all day but to assume someone is greedy for making a reasonable amount of money during a special event is not facing reality. If they are gouging, go somewhere else. Otherwise, quit being cheap, pay up and enjoy!

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
50 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mardi Gras "wet blankets"

Come on, you guys! This is the way it is at any big event, whether it's a concert, a sports event, or a New Orleans festival. It's part of the price, and if you want to attend, you need to factor that in. You don't go to a football or baseball game and complain about the price of the beer and hot dog, do you. It's the same thing. Cajun Wave is absolutely correct - in both statements. Pay up and enjoy and don't complain later, or don't go. And this is a very silly thread!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mardi Gras "wet blankets"

Terry, why is it okay for hotels to charge more and not restaurants and bars? That doesn't make sense.

It seems totally reasonable that during a "special time" that prices will go up some. If it's too high, go elsewhere. The bottom line is that people will pay more during this time frame. And those who stiff waiters or bartenders because the drink is higher should be knocked around, in my opinion! How tacky!!! Drink price is irrelevent. You STILL tip.