We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JazzFest transportation question

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
JazzFest transportation question

How difficult is it to get transport to the Fairgrounds from say, an airport hotel?

Hubs and I are coming in May with our extended family, the week AFTER JazzFest. But in pricing flights, I can save close to $250 by coming in Sat May 4th. Our lodging booking doesn't start til Tuesday the 7th, and because of JazzFest all FQ and downtown hotels, etc, are out of our price range. I can get a hotel at the airport for $125/nt.

So my thought was to come in on the Saturday, stay at the airport, and go to the last day of JazzFest on Sunday. We are huge music fans so it would be a dream come true for hubby Dave.

We'd then have Monday to wander quietly as a couple before the rest of the family arrives on Tuesday.

But I'm not sure how transportation would work, and how easy it would be to get a cab or other transport from the airport to the Fairgrounds on Sunday morning, and then especially back again after the last note has played....

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JazzFest transportation question

You should be able to get a cab in without much trouble. Getting back is a bit more challenging due to the big crowds Sunday night, but there is a cab stand and a line on Esplanade just a couple blocks down Mystery St. from the back gate. Just have patience.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JazzFest transportation question

My other thought would be renting a car for two days, and maybe using the opportunity to go to dinner Uptown on Sat night (flight arrives Sat mid-day), then drive to the fairgrounds for JazzFest the Sunday (I realize parking is an issue - how close could I reasonably get?), then I could use the car Monday to maybe visit outside of town. Possibly one of the plantations? We haven't been yet.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JazzFest transportation question

I think you'll be better off with the car if you are staying in Kenner. JazzFest closes relatively early and you will want to get dinner. If you arrive early (before the gates open) you should be able to park within a mile. (you may get closer by paying to park in a school or church lot). Lots of great places to eat Uptown, also great music, especially on Jazz Fest weekends.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
30 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JazzFest transportation question

Following up on this thread: I was wondering how practical it would be to park in the Quarter and either take a shuttle from the Sheraton or take a cab. Just how long is the cab line and how fast does it move leaving the racetrack? We have a crawfish boil to attend in the Quarter after the Jazzfest.

Level Contributor
437 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JazzFest transportation question

If you wait until the end the cab line on Gentilly will get pretty long and it takes a while.

On Gentilly on the west side of the street(across from park) they line up buses that cost a 1.25(last year) and it goes down to Canal and down the streetcar lane and get you back pretty fast - but they still navigate some heavy traffic

You can also look to see if the cab line up near Liuzza(Espanlade/Mystery) is not too bad as well - but I'd budget about 45-60 min to get back to the Quarter. Maybe a bit longer via cab if you get wrapped up in the crowd as it heads out of the track

Cab is flat fee per person to and from the Quarter - you might be sharing with someone else - they try to fill them up - so a couple of stops could be in store on the way back - but they will take you to the door.

As for parking -I think you can get close for parking at many of the churches - early bird gets the worm.

There are some good shows on Frenchmen on sun night as well.

Edited: 11:07 pm, March 07, 2013
Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JazzFest transportation question

Parking in the Quarter is problematic - if you can find space to begin with. There is pay parking on the street, but it is limited to 2 hours "within the same zone" - meaning you have to move outside of the Quarter. In the nearby Marigny, the same rules apply on most streets.

Limited pay parking is available onsite at JazzFest, and parking around the FairGrounds is available, if you go very early. The ticket agents are out in force, so pay strict attention and park legally. The towing fees are astronomical.

It's tempting to think about a car, but a cab would probably allow you to have much more fun drinkin', dancin' and gettin' your groove on...

7. Re: JazzFest transportation question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, March 10, 2014
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now