We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
New Orleans
Search

Prytania Street and Esplanade Avenue

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
556 posts
270 reviews
89 helpful votes
Prytania Street and Esplanade Avenue

I got my 2012 NO visitors guide in the mail today and was reading about different neighborhoods. It suggested under things to do in the Garden District to take a stroll along Prytania street and in the Marigny area to take a stroll along Esplanade Avenue?

i cant really find anything specific about what things are on this street or anything special. Does anyone know?

Thank you

Illinois

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
117 reviews
108 helpful votes
1. Re: Prytania Street and Esplanade Avenue

If you dig a little bit more, you will find that both streets are known for their architecture, gardens and history. Keep reading, they are special and beautiful streets. I know for Prytania St., numerous tour guides take groups up and down the street on a regular basis. Many tours start at The Rink on the corner of Washington and Prytania. Alternately, you can go inside The Rink to the Garden District Bookshop and purchase an $8 book that is a self-guided walking tour of the Garden District. Much of that tour takes place on Prytania St.

chicago
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
2. Re: Prytania Street and Esplanade Avenue

The Creole Creamery is on Prytania. We always stop there when we visit. We also enjoy the same places lasfloras mentioned.

little rock arkansas
Level Contributor
3,343 posts
286 reviews
406 helpful votes
3. Re: Prytania Street and Esplanade Avenue

I like one as much as the other, but Esplanade and Prytania street are as different as night and day. Both are fascinating walks if you get into architecture and seeing the essence of cities. If you are real active, there is an amazing walk from the quarter to City Park along Esplanade which begins at the historic Mint, passes the historic Fairgrounds racetrack and ends at the magnificent New Orleans Museum of Art. Likewise Prytania includes garden district mansions which take your breath away. Yet they are vastly different. Esplanade would fit nicely in a Tennessee Williams play, but Prytania would be more...hmm Edith Wharton maybe? They are almost like two totally different cultures to me, both fascinating and they would make a great contrast to walk on the same trip.

chicago
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
4. Re: Prytania Street and Esplanade Avenue

Excellent description, jimjade.

New Orleans...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
594 posts
3 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: Prytania Street and Esplanade Avenue

There is a cool walking tour of the Esplanade Ridge available here...

frommers.com/destinations/…0020020035.html

And a map for the tour here...

frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-20…

Same for the Garden District here...

frommers.com/destinations/…0020020034.html

frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-20…

6. Re: Prytania Street and Esplanade Avenue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 08, 2014