We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the green house inn?

east tennessee
8 posts
Save Topic
the green house inn?

we are coming down for my stepsons tulane graduation....after much research i have booked two rooms at the green house inn....i wanted to have that B&B experience....it looks beautiful and i am really excited....now my stepson says it is right under the interstate and very near some homeless shelters...is he just trying to "psych" me out or do i need to be worried about this....thanks...maryjo.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
613 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the green house inn?

This area is known as the Lower Garden District.

http://www.gnocdc.org/orleans/2/71/index.html

From the Greater New Orleans Community Data Center:

The Lower Garden District neighborhood includes much of what is commonly called the Warehouse District, the Arts district and the area surrounding the St. Thomas Development. This neighborhood boasts a great number of art galleries, historic buildings, and community services for low-income residents.

The address is 1212 Magazine St and looks to be a block upriver from US 90 (Ponchartrain Expressway) which is a busy elevated highway. This highway connects to the Crescent City Connection which is a double span bridge across the Misssissippi River.

Read the reviews here on TA. They are all outstanding. The BB is ranked 10 out of 130 for BBs.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60864-d223119-…

This is not walking distance to Tulane so you would need a car or cab. There is a bus that runs on Magazine St. and St. Charles Ave. The green streetcars are not running on St. Charles but are operating on Canal St. and the riverfront.

Porc

Mentioned in this post
Lower Garden District
Lower Garden District
23 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Warehouse District
Warehouse District
65 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the green house inn?

Your stepson is referring to the Bridge House, which is near your B&B. Bridge House is a shelter/halfway house that does a lot of good work with indigent folks. Bridge Lounge is also nearby. It's a fun bar. Overall, it's a pretty strange location in my mind--too close to the freeway, not close enough to the Quarter and too far from the Garden District. The inn itself gets very good reviews, as Porc mentioned, so I think you will enjoy it. (Just an FYI, it used to cater mostly to gay men but I am unsure if this is still the case. The website "Purple Roofs" also lists as being clothing optional at the pool. This bothers some people).

east tennessee
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: the green house inn?

hi guys...thanks so much for the info....we are renting a car so that should work out and the Inn has free parking...i looked ..on the internet.. into the bar across the street and it looks pretty cool...this is an odd location but the reviews are fantastic...plus, we arent going to do any strolling.. but hanging out at that pool with a bottle of wine will be just fine...we are not so much sight seeing as we are just coming to attend this graduation event...i called Jesse the inn keeper and asked him if i needed to worry about my 75 year old mother in law being in shock and awe with the clientelle and clothing optional pool....he said the whole inn (6 rooms) was all booked with other tulane parents...thats a relief...anyway...now i'm looking for a nice restaurant for saturday night celebration....i'll be searching the forums... thanks a lot!...mj

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the green house inn?

Glad you called and feel better about it now. I had to giggle about grandma's reaction to the clothing optional swimmers. Very funny. My wife and I have stayed at a clothing optional place in Key West and, even though I'm pretty much a "whatever floats your boat" guy, I was a bit taken aback while my wife couldn't have cared less. We both thought our reactions would have been opposite.

Definitely check out Bridge Lounge!

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL