We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI---Airport (departure) traffic

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
RockyTop
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
FYI---Airport (departure) traffic

Just a heads up----came home this AM. Concierge at the JW advised that 90 minutes was PLENTY of time to leave hotel for airport. Well --it wasn't. There's a major road construction project that just started recently, at the inbound entrance to MSY. The cabbie said it just started a few days ago. It adds a good twenty minutes (or more) to the trip. We made it--but not by much. This project looks like it's going to be ongoing for quite awhile..

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
48,665 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI---Airport (departure) traffic

Thanks for the heads up. I'm kind of surprised at the 90 minute recommendation from the concierge. I wouldn't cut it that close even without construction!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FYI---Airport (departure) traffic

I would not cut it that close either. We typically leave the FQ 2 to 2.5 hrs ahead of our flight, depending on how busy we expect the airport to be. On Ash Wednesday we will probably leave 3-3.5 hrs before. When there is a a very popular event, (like Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest or French Quarter Fest), we expect delays getting through the airport. Having said that, sometimes for no clearly apparent reason we have arrived to see lines all the way to the ticket counters. Thank God for the Fly By lane, LOL

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
689 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FYI---Airport (departure) traffic

Living by the airport, I'll tell you that construction is no joke. It looks minor, but it backs things up coming off of I 10. I use the airport access road to go to a friends house from where I live. Even during mild traffic times, it's at least a 10 minute delay. From 7-9 am or 5-7 pm, I'd leave at least an extra hour (than when you'd normally arrive or when someone who has no clue whats going on in the suburbs tells you to) to get to the airport.

Edited: 10:59 pm, December 04, 2012
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FYI---Airport (departure) traffic

we end up with US park and fly..and depending on flight times...we just stay across from the airport and shuttle over without worrying about traffic, weather, construction etc....worry free travel of close to it.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FYI---Airport (departure) traffic

Thanks for the heads up!

90 minutes though is cutting it close - we usually leave about 2 1/2 hours early so we have 2 hours to get through the lines.

For big events like the FQF we try to leave on Monday if possible

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FYI---Airport (departure) traffic

Wow, I always leave 90 minutes before my flight and never have any issue whatsoever at MSY. I usually end up killing 30 minutes at the gate, in fact. With road construction, though, i'll be sure to add a few extra minutes just in case!

Mount Desert...
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FYI---Airport (departure) traffic

I always try and get to the airport 2 hours before any flight. Probably just me being super cautious.

8. Re: FYI---Airport (departure) traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, December 17, 2013