We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend After Thanksgiving

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO USA
Level Contributor
407 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend After Thanksgiving

I read on another thread that "I would avoid the weekend after Thanksgiving as it is a very rowdy weekend." Can anyone tell why and if this is true? We will be arriving that weekend and since I've never been there I don't know what to expect. Thank you.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend After Thanksgiving

It' the Bayou Classic - 2 Louisiana college bands compete. It brings current students and alumni to town.

Daphne
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend After Thanksgiving

Trust me you do not want to be there during this time.

texas
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend After Thanksgiving

Yes, the Bayou Classic is Friday, November 24. You can find more information about it and other events that may be going on in New Orleans that weekend here.

neworleansonline.com/neworleans/sports/event…

Hope this helps. May be something neat to experience.

NJ
Level Contributor
718 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend After Thanksgiving

"May be something neat to experience."

Hahahahaha.... :) No. :(

Daphne
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend After Thanksgiving

It's on Saturday not Friday and it's a college football game between Grambling and Southern University. That should be enough said. STAY AWAY!

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend After Thanksgiving

I posted a similar question earlier this week (search Bayou Classic) & went so far as to call some friends who live in the Quarter for advice. They urged against staying right in Bourbon St & advised us to avoid the area of Bourbon & Canal particularly after the game Sat & on Fri night. We don't spend much time in that area anyway so for us it isn't a big deal. Ultimately, they said it is crowded but manageable so we decided to keep our plans.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
311 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend After Thanksgiving

It's very crowded in the area of Bourbon/Canal. If you're driving on Canal or around the Superdome traffic will be crazy--traffic all over downtown/FQ will be worse than normal.

If you can spend those times on the other end of the quarter or in another part of town altogether, you may not even notice anything's going on.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,833 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend After Thanksgiving

Deb I just replied to your p.m....sorry, I hadn't seen it earlier!

9. Re: Weekend After Thanksgiving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, November 20, 2012
Daphne
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend After Thanksgiving

It is my understanding that some businesses close because of the chaotic

atmosphere. Some restaurants have experienced people walking out without paying, complaining so that the meal is comped. Saying that hair is found in food, etc. Typical behavior for that type of crowd. I'd stay away. We were caught up in that one year and it was truly not a situation you want to be in. Canal Street is mayhem.