We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans with a Baby

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
New Orleans with a Baby

We are wanting to head over the NO in Feb for the Superbowl and Mardi Gras but out of necessity we are taking our baby who will then be 13 months old. Does anyone have any tips on where to stay, where to go, and where to avoid? Also any general tips i.e dining out that's child friendly and how to manage our baby during the Mardi Gras festivities? Also we are wanting a baby sitter for the day of the Superbowl. Any help would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
J H
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
194 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans with a Baby

This really depends on your price range. My first pick would be the Dauphine Orleans or the Monteleone. Bith have baby sitting services and are in the Quarter. Both have rooms with thick walls! At 13 months he/she can walk? Correct? So resturants can be fussy affairs. I would go with Ralph and Kacoos; its noisy to start with and in the Quarter. There's a kid menu and a lot of nautical decorations that kids love. Also consider Feli's Oyster house on Iberville. Large, great food with blarring T.V.s. Lot of families there and has a kids menu. Both of the options I have mentioned are considered family type places with no table clothes or expensive, breakable, table fixtures. Good luck and enjoy these years with your kid!

Mentioned in this post
Dauphine Orleans Hotel
Dauphine Orleans Hotel
3,706 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hotel Monteleone
Hotel Monteleone
8,187 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
J H
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
194 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans with a Baby

Sorry about my spelling - Felix's Oyster House on Iberville

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans with a Baby

There's a regular on this forum who uses the same babysitting service when he has the kids with him, Diverdrew. Search "babysitting" and you should see his post.

But I have to say, bringing a baby to MG and the Superbowl? You are brave!

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans with a Baby

Thanks so much for your help! I know, it's not ideal but unfortunately we have no other option (at this stage anyway) hence we need a great babysitter!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans with a Baby

You'll be paying a lot for a babysitter in that time frame.

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans with a Baby

Oh really? Do they increase their prices?

chicago
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Orleans with a Baby

Uh, not only the babysitter, but have you looked at hotel prices?

Honestly, I just wouldn't do this with a baby. The French Quarter is tough to navigate with a stroller at any time of year, and the restrooms aren't set up for diaper changes (never seen a changing table in the Quarter and wouldn't expose my baby's bare skin in any of them!)

With the crowds you will encounter either of those weekends, here are some things I'd think about:

Walking a stroller on narrow sidewalks full of potholes and crowded with wall-to-wall people

Waits for tables in any restaurant--much less ones that are infant-friendly--can be long.

Diaper changes--LONG lines for restrooms that are notoriously dirty and have no changing facilities (and most places with bathrooms are for customers only, so you can't just stop in as-needed)

Babysitting--a total stranger in a town you're unfamiliar with?

Transportation--streets and the streetcar lines shut down for parades both of those weekends. Cabs can't get through, and if you have your own car you'll never find parking. You'll be doing lots of walking no matter where your hotel is--and that brings us back to the stroller issue.

If you and your hubby want to enjoy the festivities, why not hire a hometown babysitter so you can get the most out of your trip? Or...gulp...pay for a babysitter you know to come along and stay in the hotel with your baby while you're out?

Or, bring your baby at a less busy time?

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Orleans with a Baby

If you haven't already booked your hotel, you may have a problem. As summerbum said, prices are really high. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn and about 4 months ago I plugged those dates in at the HI web page. The only rooms available were in Slidell and they were $500 dollars a night. But, if you have already booked, no worries. :)

Mentioned in this post
Slidell
Slidell
Louisiana
Daphne
Level Contributor
246 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Orleans with a Baby

Summerbum is thinking the same way I am. I would NEVER leave my baby with a total stranger expecially in New Orleans during Mardi Gras or the Super Bowl.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Orleans with a Baby

Are you staying for both Super Bowl and Mardi Gras? They are ten days apart so that's a long time. Super Bowl crowds are big, but not as bad as Mardi Gras. We've dealt with plenty of babies at Mardi Gras, but live on the Uptown route, so can bail and walk back to the house if the crowds get too rowdy or other needs arise. I really wouldn't want to be dealing with a baby in the Quarter on Mardi Gras unless, like us, you have friends that live there and you have have sanctuary somewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras
88 Reviews
New Orleans, LA