We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to explore New Orleans while at a conference?

Cleveland, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
How to explore New Orleans while at a conference?

I'm going to be in New Orleans the week of Nov. 12 for a work conference. A friend encouraged me to submit a post here for advice on how to experience the city. I am occupied with the conference during the day, but will have evenings free.

I am traveling alone and may or may not hang out with people from the conference. I have a modest budget (meals will be reimbursed by work, but I can't go wild!) I'm staying in the French Quarter or adjacent to it at least.

I'm looking for places that are low key for a night out during a work week. I'd also be interested in a place to grab a cup of coffee and pastry.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to explore New Orleans while at a conference?

The FQ is easy to walk around, and quite safe (I'm a single gal who's gone to NO 5 times now), using common sense of course.

For something low key as you said, the Maison Bourbon is a great bar where you sit down with a drink and listen to great dixieland type jazz.

The Royal Sonesta also has a type of piano bar. I've never been, but would probably be to your liking.

But please take the time to walk down Bourbon a couple of times in the evening. Everybody should see it at least once.

As for coffee and pastry, of course there's Cafe du Monde for their beignets. But there's also a place called Croissant D'or on Urseline, accross the street from the Villa Convento hotel. They have amazing pastries!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to explore New Orleans while at a conference?

Here's a link to a recent trip report by someone also attending a conference:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k586354…

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to explore New Orleans while at a conference?

Croissant d' Or , Cafe Beignet ....coffee/pastry

Irvin Mayfield's Playhouse at the Royal Sonesta (different bands on different nights)

Davenport Lounge at the Ritz Carlton on Thur-Sun.

Legends Park across from the Royal Sonesta

Palm Court Cafe

Wed and Thur nights at Bourbon Live for MRB

Thur-Sun nights at Chris Owens Club for Rooster and the Chickenhawks

Turtle Bay for Waylon Thibideaux...depends on his schedule

Gazebo Cafe on Thur-Mon during the daylight hours (outdoor venue)

Maison Bourbon

Fatz Katz for the Connection Band

As long as you follow normal precautions, you are safe by yourself in any bar in the Quarter where music is played...just walk down the street and see what you like...some of the places I mention may not be as low key as you want, but all the bands mentioned are excellent...jazz, blues, r n b, rock, dixieland, cajun etc. lots of fun

4. Re: How to explore New Orleans while at a conference?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 30, 2013