We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help Me Celebrate My 60th Birthday In New Orleans

Short Hills, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Please Help Me Celebrate My 60th Birthday In New Orleans

I will be 60 years old on December 4, 2012 and plan on spending it in New Orleans with my wife over four nights at the Monteleone in the French Quarter. We were only there once for JazzFest and did not get to see any of the city.

I am planning to have dinner at GW Fins and Commander's Palace. That leaves two more nights open.

During the days we would like to see the WW II museum, a swamp tour and a plantation tour.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Other places to eat? Which tour companies to use? Other places to see?

I could use some help.

Thank you

Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours
Buzz Nola Bike Tours and Rentals
Sightseeing Tours, Gear Rentals, Bike Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Two Chicks Walking Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
FreeWheelin' Bike Tours
Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Gear Rentals, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help Me Celebrate My 60th Birthday In New Orleans

You are staying in a nice well located hotel. GW Fins and Commander's Place are both truly great, although I prefer Commander's for lunch or brunch. You can consolidate the swamp and plantation tours into one outing (the swamp will be starting to get quiet that time of year).

You will want to spend some day time just leisurely strolling through the French Quarter, not just Bourbon St., although a nighttime stroll on Bourbon should be included. The French Quarter will be gussied up for Christmas.

There are so many choices for food, music and other entertainment; you need to tell us a bit more about what you enjoy and are looking for.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help Me Celebrate My 60th Birthday In New Orleans

You might consider Muriel's Restaurant for one of your meals. I have been there twice and loved it both times. They also do a jazz brunch on Sundays. A carriage ride around the French Quarter is a good way to get oriented to the layout of the Quarter, plus learn a bit of history from your driver. Frenchmen Street is a very popular area for music, and one of my favorite restaurants, The Praline Connection is on that street. I don't know how active you are, but my husband and I (he is 63 and I am 61) went on a Segway tour on our trip to New Orleans in May, and we had a blast!!

As loopwhole said, the French Quarter will be gussied up for Christmas, and there will be many Christmas activities going on during December. It is a wonderful time of year to visit New Orleans. The Monteleone has a wonderful bar, the Carousel Bar - it is one of our favorites in New Orleans.

Have a great time and happy birthday!!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help Me Celebrate My 60th Birthday In New Orleans

Check out fqfi.org for information about events in December - click on the Christmas New Orleans style link on the website.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help Me Celebrate My 60th Birthday In New Orleans

60 - Mazel Yov!

So many places to dine: Arnaud's, Galatoire's, Antoine's, K Paul's Bayonna, Emeril's August, Upperline, Brigtsen's, Jacques-Imo's...the list goes on and on and on...Arnaud's bar is famous and they have a Mardi gras museum about the prior owner. With the right guide, the stories of this doyenne of NOLA society are pretty fun. You'll have a hard time going wrong.

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help Me Celebrate My 60th Birthday In New Orleans

A wonderful restaurant in the Quarter that is not often mentioned is The Pelican Club.

6. Re: Please Help Me Celebrate My 60th Birthday In New Orleans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 21, 2013