We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip advisor smartphone app

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
61 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
trip advisor smartphone app

I just discovered the NOLA Tripadvisor app....it works offline which is great as it will save roaming dataplan charges! the maps look good, and it had most of the same locations as the website does so I was able to transfer all my saved items over so they will show on the map.

I think it will be great to have the great reviews and walking tours from the site right on my phone!

Has anyone tried it and if so, did you find it pretty accurate as far as directions and such?

Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours
Two Chicks Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Ghost City Tours of New Orleans
Walking Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours
Doctor Gumbo Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip advisor smartphone app

I'm using it now on my tablet. Only thing-texting gets old which is why I'm not posting as much as I used to.:-)

Toronto
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: trip advisor smartphone app

Thanks rkj, I just downloaded it now for my upcoming trip!

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip advisor smartphone app

Are you talking about the regular tripadvisor app or is there one specifically for NOLA?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,854 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip advisor smartphone app

There is a Tripadvisor City Guide app. Includes many cities and New Orleans is one. It was helpful for me to find small less touristy places to eat like Cake and Eat.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
61 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip advisor smartphone app

Now that my trip is complete, I'll say that the NOLA app is pretty decent! It definitely showed a few things in the wrong place (like St Louis No 1 in the middle of Jackson Square and Redfish Grill on the wrong side of Canal) - but most everything else was accurate.

It took a minute for the gps to synch up to where I was standing sometimes (for the 'you are here' map function) but that may be AT&Ts fault? Overall I found it very useful - using the addresses listed under Info combined with the actual map got me where I wanted to go even when the 'point me there' function wasn't cooperating! Not to mention that folks were terribly helpful with offering directions whenever they saw me fiddling with my phone!

I searched it up by putting 'New Orleans tripadvisor' into my app marketplace....

Edited: 1:37 pm, October 17, 2012
maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip advisor smartphone app

I just downloaded it and can't wait to use it in December!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip advisor smartphone app

I really like the feature that allows you get a listing of restaurants in relation to your current location. Since I'm at least somewhat familar with most of the popular NOLA restaurants, it lists the restaurants in order of distance from your current location, and it gives you the TA rankings, it really comes in handy when we're hungry and stumped.

8. Re: trip advisor smartphone app

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, December 15, 2013