We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Sept 26 to Oct 1

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Sept 26 to Oct 1

Just a quick trip report of my 5 night stay last week. I got to NO from Florida (where I had gorgeous weather) on Wednesday, after being 1/2h late (I was not impressed). Finally got to my hotel, the Chateau Hotel on the corner of Chartres and St Phillip, close to 5pm. I had a room on the main floor, with my windows on Chartres St. I was a bit worried about noise but with the exception of Saturday night, was not a problem.

So I made my way to my usual 1st meal, duck quasidillas at the Chatres House Cafe. Still yummy as ever. Then, I just walked around and absorbed being in NOLA again. While walking down Bourbon, I see a familiar face from a balcony from the Inn on Bourbon: ccolor. So I wave and wave, her hubby sees me but not her. Finally I yell out to her and she sees me. She nicely asked me to go up, but I was heading to the Maison Bourbon to hear Dwayne Burns. After staying for a set of great music, I just walked around and enjoying the scene, going in and out of shops. I went into "Yester years" (sp?) and had a tarot card reading. I had had my fortune told on my 1st trip (I'm suppose to be married with kids and living out of the province by now, HA!), so decided on the cards this time around. It was actually very interesting and coincidently or not, the information was very much in tune with stuff I'm dealing with right now. After awhile, went to Rouse's for supplies for the room (and a dozen boxes of Zatarain rice mixes to bring home) and called it a day.

Thursday was a nice, sunny day. Oh, and did I mention it was hooooot! And muggyyyy!!!!! OMG!!! After having breakfast at the hotel (included), I walked around, did some shopping, etc and made my way to Johnny's for an early lunch. I've eaten there before, but always for breakfast. I had a BBQ roast beef po'boy, OMG!!!! It was sooo awsome! I checked out the candy shop upstairs afterwards, but definitely had no room for sweets.

After dropping off my stuff and freshening up, I made my way to the Krazy Korner to hear Dwayne Dopsie. Some TA people were meeting at the Chartroom, but Dwayne was only playing Thursday and Friday, and since I knew I'd be seeing everybody on Friday, I knew they'd forgive me for not showing up (some TA ers actually guessed where I was). I stayed away from the demon rum this time, but still enjoyed some of their happy hour specials. After spending a few hours at KK, decided I should get some food. I went to Yo Mama's for a very yummy chicken burger. I know they have awsome burgers, but their chicken burgers are very good too. Eventually ended up at Turtle Bay to hear Waylon Thibodeaux. I have to say, I didn't enjoy it that much. Turtle Bay is 1st and for most a bar that serves food. The music is like an after thought. And although Waylon is a Cajun singer, he didn't sing once in French. The music has a Cajun ish style, but all Enlight and most songs were sung by another guy. Not at all the same atmosphere as the Tropical Isle Bayou. I have to say, I was very disappointed. After the food and not so great music, it sobered me up and got very tired, so headed back to the hotel.

Friday morning, went to do some shopping at the French Market and then had lunch at Margaritaville. I ordered the swamp platter, which includes fried gator, crawfish, and schrimps served with fries. It's huge! 2-3 people can eat off that 1 plate. Needless to say, I barely made a dent, but it was good. Ccolor was nice enough to invite some of us for a "balcony" party, so made my way to the Inn on Bourbon. It was a perfect day for it cause it had started to rain, and it ended up raining off and on for the whole day (and still sooo muggy). It was a lovely afternoon, visiting with old and new friends, and so sharp and fun watching all the comings and going on Bourbon St. I understand why ccolor always stays in that balcony room. The IOB is a lovely hotel (with expensive drinks though). it's definitely on my hotel list.

Afterwards, made my way to the Funky Pirate to see Mark Penton and visit some more with KCK and her hubby. After a few more drinks and some some more walking around, eventually made my way back to the hotel, getting some take out at Clover Grill.

Saturday and Sunday coming up!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,614 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Sept 26 to Oct 1

Dang it sounds like you had such a fantastic time! It was just fun reading--especially with the big smile I had on my face! At least you got to see Dwayne and I KNOW you're thrilled and happy about that! Meeting up with the Flok on the balcony sounded divine too--especially since it is a covered balcony. Glad you had so much fun and am looking forward to the rest!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Sept 26 to Oct 1

Saturday was another off and on rainy day. Did some art "shopping" (but did not buy anything this time, my 1st time not buying anything) but I did see a couple of things sooo nice, but on the expensive side. I went back to the French Market to pick up a couple of more things, and to buy a king cake! Ccolor had bought one and shared at the balcony party. It was very tasty (never had one before) , so decided to buy one. Ended up buying 2: a small one to eat right away and a large one to bring home (fit perfectly in the carry on suitcase). After having lunch at Cafe Pontalba, it was off to Tropical Isle for the TA m&g. Again, it was great spending time with old friends (and I do consider you all friends) and meeting new ones. After awhile, it was time to do our webcam appearance. My sister/brother-in-law, neice, and nephew were all home in Canada watching aunti (they are so excited about the family trip next year). After standing in front of the webcam for awhile, most of us parted ways. I did spend some time at Pat O's piano bar later on, always such fun (and thought of you jlr & hubby), some more walking around and having a few beverages then called it a day.

Sunday, treated myseslf to breakfast at Stanley's and had the Beau Bridge eggs benedict. As everybody said, it was great. It was very busy though. I was only able to get a place to sit right away because I was by myself and there was an empty spot at the counter. After breakfast, did a couple of errands and then it started raining. I mean raining! I've seen downpours in the south before, but this was crazy. I was soaked by the time I got back to by hotel and it basically lasted on and off all day, so I spent the rest of the day in my room watching tv and starting to figure out how I was getting 12 boxes of Zatarain mixes, 3 bottles of hurricane mix, xmas gifts, a couple of other rice mixes, and a king cake home. Oh, plus a souvenir glass from Florida and a Pat o's one. Somehow, got everything home in 1 piece.

Although a short trip, was good and with the addition of my time in Florida, was time to go home. The weather wasn't the best, 3 days of rain, but even a rainy day in NO is a good day.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Sept 26 to Oct 1

Thanks for the report, Porelly! I love King Cake too. We get it every year just before Lent kicks in. So glad you seen our Dwayne. I seen it on their web page and you had already left for Florida. Of course, I should have know that you would know that, but I was posting messages all over the place for people to let you know so you wouldn't miss him. They are going to be in town when I am there as well :), I loved watching you all on the webcam. I was sitting at my desk with a rum & coke waving back at you. I know you seen me :)

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Sept 26 to Oct 1

Smooch, porelly, smooch-

We had fun with you also - Excellent trip report! I take it you recovered from the hot flakes I put on our pizza?!?! *smile*

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,128 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Sept 26 to Oct 1

great report porelly and it was nice hanging with you at Funky Pirate.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
613 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Sept 26 to Oct 1

Great trip report Porelly! It was so much fun watching you guys on the TI cam! I could hear your Acadian accent flowing!!! :)

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Sept 26 to Oct 1

I loved reading about your trip, Porelly! And watching the video/cam was great; it made me wish I was there having fun with some of my floking buddies. How special it was for your family members to see you in action, too! Thanks for sharing with us!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Sept 26 to Oct 1

as always, another great report porelly! Sorry to hear you weren't impressed by Turtle Bay. I've never been, and doubt I will! Margaritaville serves ALL plate that could feed 2 or 3 people! First time we ordered volcano nachos, even the other patrons were taking pictures (of course, I now eat all my nachos at El Gato Negro...I prefer real cheese!) Glad you got to see Dwayne, have a balcony party and do a M&G. It's was SO MUCH FUN seeing you guys on the street there, and like bcla, I was waving back--POSITIVE you could see my insanely huge smile!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,553 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Sept 26 to Oct 1

very nice D.....we are jealous...don't know when we will get back in due to vacation days not being available...we can live thru reports like yours....

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,515 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Sept 26 to Oct 1

Porelly, so glad you are back on the forum - we have missed you!! Sounds like you had a good time in spite of the weather. I'm glad your weather in Florida was better. I hop you had some demon rum at Pat O's!!