We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers. Day 2

toronto
Level Contributor
229 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
First timers. Day 2

Well started our morning with breakfast at rathbone Which is included. It was fantastic. We were asked if we wanted Grits and greens and we said no but then changed our mind. It was fantastic. Walked to French market and then along water and went to jacksons square and into the cathedral. Went to bourbon street finally and we were very thirsty. Had couple beers at hole in the wall and then continued on. Beautiful day!!! Went to pat obriens for lunch and I had a hurricane - 4 ounces of booze!! Yikes. Contined walking over to st Charles where we were taking a city tour. Another groupon. Our 2 hour tour ended up being 3.5 hours. It was fantastic!!! Perfect way to see and hear all about the different areas. Our guide was incredible. Noticed we were the only ones to tip and thought that was odd. Went to coops for dinner - it was amazing!!! My feet are going to fall off. Back at our mansion early. What an incredible city!!!!!!

Christ Church Cathedral
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Churches & Cathedrals
St. Augustine Church
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Our Lady Of Guadalupe Church
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers. Day 2

Was the Groupon for Southern City tours? They depart from St. Charles and often have a Groupon. How did your tour end up being so long? Something like that is a great bonus as long as you don't have something else planned.

I seriously hope you have VERY COMFORTABLE shoes. I couldn't tell you how many blisters I've covered with bandages from walking there.

So glad you're enjoying New Orleans!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,271 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers. Day 2

Sounds like you are having a fantastic time! We don't hear much about the Rathbone here, glad you are enjoying it. That is so irritating about people not tipping. We notice that quite a bit on tours, towards the end of the tour you see people just kind of wander off in a different direction or people who stay until the end but don't tip.

toronto
Level Contributor
229 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers. Day 2

Yes it was southern city tours. A couple of film crew joined us so I think that's whGy it was longer. Amazing tour and do glad we did it. I'm wearing crocs which are good!! No blisters just sore "bones" from being out of shape!!!! Rathbone is lovely and the walk is nice. For the money, the walk is worth it. Nice to see all the residential houses around within minutes of French quarter. Was looking for wine to pick up for our cruise as we're allowed 1 bottle each to take on board and there is a big difference in price!! Regular store with booze was 12.99 and then cv drugs was 7.99 and then liquor store across from drug store was 6.99. Quit smoking 106 days ago after smoking for 35 years so that is really hard here as it is a smokers paradise!!!!! People smoke in every bar - boy do I miss it!!!! Oh yeah, went to Johnny po boys but didn't realize it wasn't open at night.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers. Day 2

How'd you like that hurricane at Pat's Norman? Those things are definitely strong! It's just that they taste so good you always have to have at least 2!!!!! Have you gotten over to El Gato Negro to try their margaritas? Those things should definitely be tried!

You quit after 35 years???? I'm impressed. I quit for 4 1/2 years at one point. Oh well. At least Nola is smoker friendly--except for the hotels that are all turning non-smoking. But who really wants to smoke in their room anyway?

Hope you found some good wine to take. Prices do vary a lot. Really enjoying the reports. Has the Nola bug bit you yet?????

toronto
Level Contributor
229 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers. Day 2

We have the Nola bug already!!! Amazing city and do glad we choose this to cruise out of because I probably wouldn't have ever come. The drink was amazing!!!! Havnt found the other you mentioned. Just picked up beringer wine. I'm not really a wine drinker but because we're allowed to take it on ship I'll drink it. Yes 35 years smoking!!!! Boy oh boy it's hard here though

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,656 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers. Day 2

I share you pain Norman!!! I REALLY do! It was a hard 4 1/2 years for me. Best of luck if you plan to stay smoke free!

We should start a Toronto Branch of the Nola Club since there are so many of us up here who love the place so much! Glad you got bit by the Nola bug too. I never wanted to go either but my sister dragged me there...next trip will be #10. Just can't get enough of that wonderful place!

Did you get a chance to see Pat O'Brien's fountain at night? It's lit up and it flames so it is a pretty cool sight! Just in case you're wandering by at night!

El Gato is down by the French Market-across the street from them. Look for the grassy type umbrellas and you won't be able to miss it. The house margarita is my fav although they have all different kinds to try. Truly one of the most delicious drinks in New Orleans and good for you too with all that fresh juice!!! LOL!

toronto
Level Contributor
229 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers. Day 2

We have the Nola bug already!!! Amazing city and do glad we choose this to cruise out of because I probably wouldn't have ever come. The drink was amazing!!!! Havnt found the other you mentioned. Just picked up beringer wine. I'm not really a wine drinker but because we're allowed to take it on ship I'll drink it. Yes 35 years smoking!!!! Boy oh boy it's hard here though

toronto
Level Contributor
229 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers. Day 2

Will try el gato today thanks. Going to see fountain at pats tonight.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers. Day 2

Hate to be so intrusive but if you don't mind..what rate did you get at the Rathbone...I'm not familiar with that place at all...hurricanes are pretty good tho strong...we've gotten to like the rainstorm even better at Pat O's.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers. Day 2

Thanks for your reports and big big congratulations on quitting smoking after so many years!

Never heard of Rathbone, but love Esplanade (and, being a rodent, I also love everything that sounds almost like "rat bone" ;) ), thanks for bringing it to our attention.